Zinc Supplement Info
Zinc is a mineral essential for normal body growth and development. Zinc is mostly important for its catalytic activity. It acts as a catalyst for more than 300 enzymes. Apart from this, zinc also plays a great role in protein synthesis, DNA synthesis, wound healing etc.
Dosage of Zinc Supplement
The Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for zinc varies depending on the age of an individual
Infants and children
- 0 to 6 months- 2 milligrams/day (mg/day)
- 7 to 12 months- 3 mg/day
- 1 to 3 years- 3 mg/day
- 4 to 8 years- 5 mg/day
- 9 to 13 years- 8 mg/day
Adolescents and adults
- 14 to 18 years- 11 mg/day
- 19 and above- 11 mg/day
- 14 to 18 years- 9 mg/day, lactating female requires 13 mg/day and pregnant female requires 12 mg/day.
- 19 and above- 8 mg/day, lactating female requires 12 mg/day and pregnant female requires 11 mg/day.
Sources of Zinc Supplement
Following are some of the food items rich in zinc:
- Whole wheat grain
- Meat and meat based products
- Pecan nuts
- Cashew nuts
- Pumpkin seeds
- Peas and beans
Benefits of Zinc Supplement
- Zinc plays a great role in wound healing process. This is by catalyzing the enzymes required for the synthesis collagen which is the protein required for wound healing process.
- It helps in enhancing the immune function.
- It plays a great role in protein synthesis and DNA synthesis.
- Zinc supplements are used in the treatment of common cold as it helps in reducing the severity and duration of the illness.
- Zinc plays a great role in the treatment of Eczema or Atopic dermatitis.
- Zinc is one of the essential nutrients required by pregnant women as it plays a great role in DNA synthesis and repair.
- Zinc is necessary for normal functioning of prostrate gland in male and the deficiency may lead to enlargement of prostate gland which makes it more prone to prostrate cancer.
- Zinc plays a great role in reducing hair loss.
- Zinc plays a great role in maintaining normal vision.
- It plays a great role in increasing the bone strength hence reduces bone loss.
- Zinc promotes weight loss by controlling appetite of an individual.
- Zinc plays a great role in maintaining normal skin by curing acne and pimples.
Zinc Supplement Deficiency
Deficiency of zinc may lead to:
- Retarded growth
- Weak and fragile bones
- Rough and pale skin
- Severe hair fall
- White spots on nails.
Side Effects of Zinc Supplement
Normally Zinc does not cause any side effects. But in some cases, over intake of Zinc or its supplements may lead to some side effects like nausea, headache, metallic bitter taste, stomach ache, diarrhea etc.