Yellow Dock Supplement Info
Yellow dock goes with several other names such as curly dock, sour dock, narrow dock and narrow-leaved dock, just to name a few. Here we shall use the name yellow dock. It is a small perennial plant which grows to a height of about 4 feet. It was first used in ancient times by the Native Americans who used it for several medicinal purposes.Today yellow dock is considered as a blood purifier.
Benefits of Yellow Dock Supplement
- Yellow dock is useful for treating anemia.
- Yellow dock is also used in the treatment of other blood diseases such as scrofula, spring eruption and chronic skin diseases like scurvy.
- It is consumed as a tonic for rheumatism and works as an astringent in bilious complaints, bleeding of the lungs and piles.
- Yellow dock roots are also taken as a laxative.
- It is useful for improving the function of the kidneys, liver, intestines and lymph glands.
Who can benefit from taking Yellow Dock
As the benefits of yellow dock cover a vast area of ailments, it can be concluded that the categories of people who can benefit from taking yellow dock will also come from an equally vast coverage. Yellow dock is useful for people who are recovering from some prolonged illness or a major surgery. It is also recommended for people with blood disorders.
Side Effects of Yellow Dock Supplement
- Extended use of yellow dock can lead to metabolic acidosis, a blood condition and can result in low levels of potassium and intestinal atrophy.
- Yellow dock has been known to cause mild diarrhea in some cases.
- Symptoms can also be manifested in seizures, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, numbness around the mouth and muscular spasms.
- People with kidney or liver problems should not use yellow dock.
- Yellow dock should not be consumed by nursing or pregnant women
Dosage of Yellow Dock Supplement
- Syrup Form: ½ a pound of the root is crushed and boiled, thrice a day.
- Tea: 5 to 10 grams of the root in a couple of cups of water, thrice daily.
- Dried root: 2 to 4 grams taken thrice a day.
- Tincture: 1:5 in alcohol 45%, in doses of 1 to 2 ml three times daily.
- Liquid: 1:1 ratio in alcohol 25%, 2 to 4 ml taken thrice a day.
Disclaimer: While it is though that there are many benefits of yellow dock, the inferences from this article are not binding and are subject to further evidence, as research still continues in the study of yellow dock.