The hair on people’s heads is a matter of pride and concern. This is more so in the case of women. A plain-looking woman can be made to look beautiful with the right type of hairstyle. So, proper care of hair is an important aspect of a woman’s appearance. For proper maintenance of women’s hair, it is important to know the causes of hair loss in women.
Women Hair Loss Causes
- Hair is compared to a garden and the plants, bushes and trees that grow in it. It is important to take proper care of what is below the surface (soil) in order to get good results for what grows above the surface. In the same way, the scalp should be kept healthy at all times.
- Menopause is one of the most well-known of women hair loss causes. This is mainly due to thyroid malfunction which tends to occur in menopausal women. Another prominent reason is hormonal imbalance of testosterone and estrogen hormones during this period.
- Another important factor leading to hair loss in women is physical and mental stress. As the effect of stress takes about 2 to 3 months to take effect, events that took place 2 to 3 months prior to the hair loss should be recalled.
- It is a well-known fact that cancer drugs cause hair fall. However, what most people do not know is that several other drugs can cause thinning of the hair such as antidepressants, blood thinners and blood pressure medicine.
- Strict dieting can also cause hair loss in women. A balanced diet is the key to healthy hair as it will get all the nourishment it needs. One should eat food rich in iron and essential vitamins.
- Certain prolonged illnesses are believed to cause thinning of the hair. If a woman has been ill for a long time or is recovering from some major surgery, hair loss may be noticed after about 2 to 3 months.
- One of the side-effects of childbirth is loss of hair. This again may be noticed 2 to 3 months after the delivery.
- Alopecia areata is a major cause of hair loss. In such a situation, bald patches occur which may be the size of a coin or bigger.
- Ringworm is another major cause of hair loss. Along with fungus and scaling, hair loss is another well-known occurrence.
- If hair loss occurs without any apparent reason, it is always advisable to see a doctor about it, as hair loss is usually a warning sign that there is something wrong happening within the body.
Tips to Avoid Hair Loss in Women
- Avoid long hair, if possible.
- Use combs instead of brushes.
- Change shampoos using different shampoos at least once a month.
- Thinning hair from wearing tight ponytails can be covered by developing wispy bangs.
- When having a haircut in a salon, avoid a “feathery” kind of hairstyling. This tends to give the hair a thin and wispy appearance
Thus, with a bit of extra care and treatment, a woman can lead happy life and look beautiful with healthy and strong hair.