Lung capacity plays a vital role in running. Most of the successful runners concentrated even on improving lung capacity which helped them in achieving the success. There are several ways that help in the improvement of lung capacity. Five of them are:
1. Breathing exercises: breathing exercises not only develops the lung capacity but relaxes the whole body. The steps of the one of the major breathing exercises are:
This exercise is the best to relax the mind as well as body parts and is also part of the meditation. Learn the other breathing exercises and practice early in the morning if possible.
2. Assistance of equipments: equipments like training masks and tube devices help in the improvement of lung capacity. These equipments are designed in such a way that they help in creating the resistance of breathing during the training.
3. Physical exercises: exercises like swimming, cycling, skiing and aerobics help to build up the better lung capacity. Movements over the body improve the heart rate as well as breathing performance that physical fitness as well as relaxation to the mind are achieved by these exercises.
Work outs in the different elevations help the lungs get habituated with all those elevations. This enhances the strength of the lungs. As the higher elevations possess less oxygen levels, the workouts in such kind of areas improve blood cells. Intensive practice in these areas is not suggestible.
4. Preparing the body with long breaths: it is rather difficult for the normal people to give a long pause between inhale and exhale. Practicing to increase the time span between inhale and exhale not only improves the lung capacity but also helps in better ways during running. Few of the steps that could help in increasing the span are
5. Avoid the things that could trouble the lungs: smoking must be strictly avoided as it could cause great damage to the lungs. Passive smoking also possesses the equal risk as active smoking. Thus, avoiding the cigarette smoke actively as well as passively is rather important.