Usal Pav requires 20 minutes for preparation and 40 minutes for cooking.
A Measuring Cup, Frying Pan, A Wot, A knife, A spoon, Grinder or Mixer
Usal Pav Ingredients
- White Peas – 1 cup
- Onion, chopped - 1 medium sized
- Garlic – 1 pod
- Ginger – 1 cm
- Red chillies - 3
- Dry coconut - 1 tbsp
- Badishap (fennel seeds) - 1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds - 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds (zeera) - 1 tsp
- Cloves – 6 to 7
- Peppercorns – 5 to 6
- Green cardamom (elaichi) - 1
- Bada elaichi – ½
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
Preparation Method for Usal Pav Recipe
- Soak dry white peas for eight hours.
- Place the pan on the stove and heat oil.
- Roast the onions in the oil till they turn translucent and are kept aside.
- In a separate pan heat oil and add all the ingredients (except white peas) and roast them till they turn brown.
- Now add ginger, garlic and roasted onions in the pan of roasted ingredients.
- Mix them together and grind them to a fine paste.
- White peas are cooked in pressure cooker.
- In a bowl, finely chop 1 tomato and crush garlic a bit.
- In wok, heat oil, add crushed garlic and curry leaves and fry till garlic turns brown.
- Now add ground paste, chopped tomatoes, and let it fry till oil shows up.
- Finally add boiled peas and salt to taste.
- Cook till done. Usal is ready to be served. It is served with Pav (bread)