There is no one who doesn’t like long, beautiful shiny hair. Growing hair is not a difficult task and unlike what we think, it does not require costly hair products and expensive treatments. Each person will have an average of 10,000 strands of hair and each hair will grow around six inches per year. The hair growth is also determined predetermined by genetic factors. As per the genetic predetermination a person, hair will grow only to a particular length known as “terminal length”. Terminal length is the maximum length up to which a person’s hair will grow from the active hair follicle and stops there after
Like all other body parts, hair growth also needs right vitamins and minerals in right concentration. As a result lack of vitamins and minerals may lead to poor growth of hair along with hair thinning. Similarly, abnormality in thyroid gland functioning and resulting abnormal concentration of thyroid hormones may also adversely effect the hair growth.
When your body is in a healthy state without diseases and malfunctioning, the hair too will remain healthy. On the other hand when you are in a diseased state, the hair growth also gets retarded.
Diet and Hair Growth
A balanced diet with all the essential nutrients in it helps in the proper growth and development of hair. Since hair is composed of protein molecules, a diet rich in protein will enhance the hair growth. Protein rich foods like egg, milk, milk products, fish, soy milk etc helps in the growth of the hair strands. Important vitamins required for normal hair growth are vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin B complex including folate, inositol, biotin etc. Similarly minerals essential for the normal growth and development of hair are silica, magnesium, zinc, iron etc.
Hair Growing Tips
- Make sure to trim your hair every month. This will help in removing the split ends. Use separate sharp scissors for cutting hair if not the hair might get further damaged.
- Eat a balanced diet with all the nutrients in right amount. Never go for a harsh diet that completely eliminates fat. Even small amount of fat is required for proper hair growth.
- Frequent handling of hair like repeated brushing, combing etc should be avoided as it may damage your hair.
- Avoid the use of hot water to wash your hair, instead use cold water. Cold water helps in making the cuticle lay flat and prevents it from snagging and breaking off. Washing with cold water will also add shine to your hair and make combing easier.
- Moisturize your hair regularly using a good quality moisturizer. Lack of sufficient moisture may lead to dry brittle and damaged hair.
- Avoid all those hair styles that impart stress to the hair.
- Avoid the frequent use of hair dryers instead allow it to dry naturally.
- Never dry your hair by rubbing with a towel. This will lead to tangle formation and difficult to handle.
- Avoid the use of hair tools like hair curlers, hot rollers etc which might damage your hair.
- A routine hot oil treatment will improve hair growth.
- Massage your scalp with oils like extra virgin olive oil or extra virgin coconut oil at least once a weak. This helps in stimulating hair follicles.
- To maintain a good health, exercise regularly.
- Make sure that your body rests properly and try to sleep at least 6-8 hrs a day.
- If you are addicted to smoking, use of alcoholic drinks, caffeine, carbonated beverages etc., try to get rid of it. All these products adversely effects hair growth.
- Avoid using hair care products that contain harsh chemicals. So try to avoid hair perming and if planning to color your hair, choose a hair color that is devoid of peroxide. Always choose mild shampoos without harmful chemical ingredients.
- Try to use natural hair care products as much as possible. These products may not harm your hair.
- Avoid exposure to chemicals. For example: cover your hair while going to swimming pools that might contain high concentration of chlorine.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight. Wearing a scarf or a hat will protect your hair from the direct exposure to sun light.
- Avoid straightening your hair as much as possible. Hair straightening involves breakage of protein bonds and rebuild of new bonds. The structural alteration adversely affects the hair growth.
- Carefully choose hair jewelleries and hair bands that might not pull out hair strands along with it while removing.
- Use wide toothed combs for combing hair.
- Never comb wet hair.
- Before going to bed tie your hair in a relaxed manner that does not impose any stress on to it and lead to hair damage.
- Use either a satin pillow case or a scarf to cover your hair before going to bed. This will protect your hair overnight from breaking.
- To remove tangles use either your fingers or a wide toothed comb. Detangling should be done gently by taking one section at a time other wise it might lead to hair breakage.
- If possible, detangle your hair before washing as it helps in the smooth handling of hair after washing.
Thus, by paying simple attention to your hair you could gain long and strong hair within few months.