The two main causes for staining of teeth are cigarettes and coffee. There are however, several other causes like medication, excessive exposure to fluoride, damage due to dental treatment or an accident, colorful foods and improper dental care like not flossing the teeth. Whatever the reasons may be for discoloration of teeth, it is an undesirable condition. Everyone would like to have flashing white teeth.
So, how can this be achieved? Before you go onto the different natural and home remedies for teeth whitening, you should understand that most of the remedies are not recommended in all cases, and even if they have been suggested, they are just short-term quick fixes. The ultimate insurance policy to healthy and white teeth still lies in a visit to the dentist.
Now that you have managed to get your teeth nice and white, the trick is to maintain them, to stay that way. Here are a few dos and don’ts which might come in handy:
1. Do floss and brush regularly.
2. Do always use a soft bristle toothbrush for brushing the teeth.
3. Don’t drink coffee or any pigmented drink immediately after teeth-whitening procedures.
4. Do eat an apple after each meal.
5. Do eat raw vegetables like carrots and celery.
6. Don’t try any home remedies before consulting a dentist.
7. Do be aware of the health condition of your teeth and gums before going in for any teeth-whitening procedures.
8. Don’t use fingernails to scratch out stains as they can scratch the surface of the teeth and make the situation worse.
9. Do consider using a branded teeth-whitening kit in consultation with your dentist.
These are just a few dos and don’ts which will guide you towards a satisfying maintenance of healthy, white teeth. While the above mentioned remedies can be practiced, always remember that prevention is better than cure. If you maintain your teeth according to your dentist’s advice, then it is likely that your teeth may never become discolored in the first place.