Definition of Stress
Stress can be defined as the reaction of the body to emotional, mental, physical or social condition. It is the body’s way of combating the adverse effects of the conditions around us.
Everyone has their own way of dealing with stress. Some people are able to live under constantly stressful conditions. Others have a problem dealing with it resulting in physical manifestations which can lead to extreme conditions like heart attacks and nervous breakdowns.
Here, we shall discuss a few of the natural, home remedies for effective stress management. While stress is a part of daily living, there are several methods to counteract the effects of stress.
Stress Home Remedy Techniques
A few minor adjustments in lifestyle can have an overwhelming effect on day-to-day stress levels. Here are a few easy tips on stress management.
- Support from Others: “No man is an island”, as the old adage goes. So there is no harm spending time with friends and family and accepting help from them when they offer it.
- Aim in Life: Keep your goals clear and achievable. At the start of each day, give a thought to what your activities will be for the day.
- Laugh Therapy: Laughter is one of the best stress-busters. Laugher releases hormones in the body which induce a feeling of well-being.
- Working Out: Exercising induces a feeling of well-being and gets the blood supply flowing to the brain. You do not need to exercise for long intervals – 2 to 3 sessions of 15 to 20 minutes in a day should do. Always consult your doctor before entering into an exercise program.
- My Time: Have “my time” periods in the day, at least one, where you take out time exclusively for yourself. You can spend this time doing something that you like and which relaxes you, like reading the newspaper or listening to some of your favorite music.
- Financial Control: Take control of your finances. Financial problems are the most common cause for stress. Once your finances are in order, you will automatically begin to relax.
- Set Your Limits: We tend to never be satisfied and are always aiming for more and more. It is impossible to get everything all the time. This is when dissatisfaction sets in. Set practical objectives and be happy when they are achieved.
Stress Home Remedies – Dos and Don’ts
Here a few handy tips which will help to keep on the right path of effective stress management:
- Do use relaxation techniques like music and soft lighting.
- Do breathing exercises – in times of panic, a deep, controlled breathing can have a relaxing effect.
- Don’t scrimp on sleep. Try to get at least 7 to 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep daily.
- Don’t overindulge in stimulants like alcohol, cigarettes and caffeine. Alcohol is a well-known depressant.
- Do avoid watching television just before going to bed. A better choice would be to read a book.
- Do exercise regularly, but always take care not to exercise just before going to bed.
- Do spend quality time with your family and friends.
- Do develop a hobby. This will help in diverting the mind from pending problems. It is a relaxing activity, giving you a sense of purpose.
- Do think positively. Remember, it’s the optimists who are the happiest people. As the saying goes, “Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you. Cry and you cry alone”.