Septoplasty makes the nasal septum straight byrelocating the cartilage, trimming extra bones or cartilage, or by constructingsome areas by use of cartilage graft. This surgery is generally carried out incase of breathing complications, severe nosebleeds, and severe sinusitis etc.
Precautions Before Septoplasty Procedure:
- You need 1-2 weeks free time beforeundergoing Septoplasty. Many patients are at ease & ready to go out inpublic after 2 weeks of surgery.
- Your doctor tracks your medicalrecord and inquires about your health conditions, as well as any presentmedications. You will also have to seeanesthesiologist, who will analyze your health & past record andaccordingly decide the anesthesia to be given.
- Your doctor will do physicalexamination of your skin and nose. Blood tests & other tests are alsocarried out
- Your surgeon will also arrange to take photographs of your nose from diverse angles. Your doctor will referthese photos during and after surgery and will also use them forbefore-and-after assessments.
- You should discuss the things clearly withyour doctor. Your doctor will explain what septoplasty would be the resultsof septoplasty & what changes would occur.
- Stop medications that could increaseyour risk to bleeding such as aspirin, ibuprofen two weeks prior to surgery andtwo weeks following the surgery.
- You should wear a loose front buttonblouse or shirt on the day of surgery, which is easy to take off & does nothave to be pulled over head.
- Stop Smoking, as it reduces theprocess of healing post surgery.
- After 24 hrs of sedation, you might go throughlapses of memory and weaken judgment. Therefore, it is essential to havesomeone along for assistance who can help you as well as take you home if it’san outpatient procedure. Also, it is important to arrange a family member orfriend or close person to stay with you and take your personal care.
Precautions After Septoplasty Procedure
Post Surgery, Soft silicone splints are located within each nostril to hold upthe septum. Cotton bandage is applied to prevent bleeding. These splints andcotton packs are generally removed after 2-5 days after surgery.
To reduce the chances of swelling as well asbleeding of nose, doctor might ask you to take below precautions:
- Avoid exhausting activities like aerobics and jogging, which makes your breathing harsh.
- Avoid blowing your nose.
- Brush teeth tenderly to restrict your upper lip movement.
- Wear front button clothes, such as shirts or sweaters, avoid clothes which you have to pull over your head & face.
Due to the time-consuming healing process, ultimateresults could be evident by almost year after surgery.
Many people discover that septoplasty improvedtheir problems and symptoms like nosebleeds and breathing problems & sinusinfections, triggered due to deviated nasal septum. However, the septoplastysurgery recovery totally depends on the severity of your problem.
In some cases, similar problems & symptomsmight persist even after surgery. In such cases, people might have to undergo anotherseptoplasty surgery to repair the nose and septum.