Rhytidectomy is the technical term used for much popular term “face lift”. To remove wrinkles from the face and improve overall appearance of a person, this procedure is carried out. Slowly and gradually this procedure is gaining popularity. This is because people are very conscious of their looks and those who are in glamour world needs to look young and vivacious always. For such people and some affluent people, this procedure is a boon. Potential risks and side effects of this surgery can be reduced considerably when following guidelines of the procedure.
Advantages of Rhytidectomy
- The most important advantage of Rhytidectomy is that it tightens the skin and removes wrinkles.
- It gives a youthful appearance to a person
- Every individual wishes to stay young and stop the clock moving ahead making him look older. This procedure helps them to look young by 5 to 10 years.
- It boosts self esteem and confidence in people
- The people who wish to delay looking old can opt for this procedure.
- The chances of complications in this surgery are very less.
- It preserves the posterior hairline and retro auricular scars are avoided.
- Those candidates who are enjoying good health and supple skin can get best results.
Disadvantages of Rhytidectomy
- Like any surgery, this procedure is also not free from risks. Complications can occur in any surgical procedure.
- The biggest disadvantage of this procedure is that if not done properly, it can result in nerve damage.
- Sometimes scars are visible on the face.
- Bruising, pain and swelling can also be seen that takes days to subside.
- The procedure cannot stop the process of aging.
Side Effects of Rhytidectomy
- During operation, nerve controlling facial muscles may get damages or weakened. This happens usually when a surgeon is not careful enough with the nerve tissues that lie beneath the skin.
- The most common side effect of Rhytidectomy is collection of blood beneath the skin known as Hematoma.
- In case of smokers, necrosis or death of skin is seen commonly as smoking reduces flow of blood to the face. This may occur around the incisions and a visible scar will be left on the face as a result.
- In any surgery, risk of infection is always there. While recovering from surgery, one must dutifully monitor his temperature as elevated temperature is an indication of infection in the body.