Motherhood is a great feeling that one can’t explain in words. After the delivery, the mother must get recovered and feed the baby. The food you take should fulfill the requirements of bringing your energy levels back and should help to for sufficient milk supply to your baby.
Many people often suggest high calorie diet during post delivery period. Lots of ghee, full cream milk, jaggery etc are few of the traditional suggestions. Though it is true that you need extra calories during post pregnancy, even more if you are feeding, it doesn’t mean that you can pile the fats around your body.
The knowledge, about the food items which would help in fulfilling all the requirements, is rather necessary. The following are 10 foods that you must include in your diet which could work efficiently in providing the nutrients, vitamins and minerals. Most of them are the traditional items that are usually consumed. You must also know the required amount of the item.
1. Milk: Milk is rather essential to provide you calcium and vitamin D. It is a myth that the full cream milk works well. Even the low fat milk also works in the same way providing you the required. Try to take at least 200 ml of milk. You can consume the amount in twice or thrice in small quantities and also can include the powders available in the market. Start taking milk from the day one of your post pregnancy.
2. Leafy vegetables: Intake of leafy veggies with spinach, which is easy to digest and rich in iron. Gradually include all other varieties of leafy vegetables one by one like fenugreek by confirming whether you are able to digest them well. Include at least one leafy veggie during the day meals.
3. Cereals and pulses: All the pulses and cereals contain high amount of calories, fiber, carbohydrates, proteins, minerals, calcium and required fats. Including minimum 50grams of pulses and cereals in the meals is important.
4. Garlic: Garlic contains vitamin B6 and vitamin C, Manganese in high amounts and also Calcium, Copper, Potassium, Phosphorus and Vitamin B1. Thus, including moderate amount of garlic is very necessary.
5. Turmeric: Turmeric possesses high levels of magnesium, manganese, potassium and Vitamins B6 and C. Adding it in different food items is good during the post pregnancy. Most of the people take it with warm milk for better results.
6. Whole wheat bread: It is the easy digestive food and possesses carbohydrates and folic acid. Only prefer whole wheat bread than white bread.
7. Fruits: Many elders suggest to avoid fruits during post pregnancy. But few of the fruits like papaya, orange, chickoo etc help in different ways and do no harm scientifically.
8. Almonds: Nothing can be better snacks than almonds. They are very rich in vitamins B12 and E, minerals like manganese, zinc etc. At least 10g of almonds per day is necessary during post pregnancy.
9. Sesame seeds and sesame oil: Being rich in calcium, copper, phosphorous, iron and magnesium, they help in regularizing the bowel movements. Random intake of sesame seeds or oil is suggestible.
10. Dry ginger powder and carom seeds: Having a tea spoon full of dry ginger powder or carom seeds powder as the beginning item of meals is the conventional habit. It is rather good to consume them in other ways as dry ginger powder possess selenium, iron, vitamins B6 and E, and many other; whereas carom seeds are rich in thymol which helps to get rid of indigestion pains.