Mixer, Frying pan, Tawa.
- 1 cup of Moong Dal or Arhar Dal
- 1 medium chopped onion
- ½ inch piece of ginger
- 4 Green chillies
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin or Jeera seeds
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of Asafoetida
- Oil (preferably mustard oil) for frying and sauteing
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups of Water
Preparation Method for Phaanu Recipe
- Soak Moong dal or Arhar dal for 2 hours.
- Wash the soaked dal and grind in the mixer along with green chillies and ginger. Keep aside three fourths of this mixture.
- Pour some oil in the frying pan and place it on the flame. As it heats, make small cakes (like cutlets) of one fourths of the ground mixture. When the pan is sufficiently heated, gently drop the cakes into the pan and deep fry them.
- Pour the remaining oil in another pan and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafetida.
- When they crackle, add chopped onion and turmeric powder and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the ground mixture which had been set aside. Pour 3 cups of water.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a low flame for about 10 minutes.
- Add the fried cakes to the gravy and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
- Check consistency of the gravy. If it is too thick, add the required quantity of water till the gravy has a pouring consistency. Heat till the gravy comes to a boil.
- Garnish with ghee and chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve delicious phaanu with hot rice.