Commonly known as “nose job”, Rhinoplasty has become a very common surgery these days. Lots of people undergo this surgery to improve their overall appearance. Since, looks play a very important role in this modern world, more and more people opt for this surgery and bring their nose in perfect harmony with their face.
Minimum Requirements of Rhinoplasty
- The first and foremost requirement for undergoing this operation is the importance of this operation for an individual.
- In case a person is not at all comfortable and happy with his misshapen nose, he can opt for this operation
- Sometimes people lose their self esteem and confidence and it becomes important for them to go for this operation
- Minimum age requirement for this operation varies from country to country that needs to be followed. In most countries it is above 15 years of age.
- The medical history of individuals must be thoroughly analyzed before he is recommended to undergo this operation.
Preparation for Rhinoplasty
- Ask your doctor regarding the time, date and procedure of Rhinoplasty as it will give you a clear picture of what is going to happen next.
- Doctors also ask an individual to avoid certain medications before undergoing theses operations, such as aspirin, ibuprofen, alcohol, etc.
- Doctors may prescribe certain medications to take 2-3 weeks before one undergo this operation.
- Certain blood tests are done before the operation and sometimes chest X-ray is also recommended by the doctors
- Blood tests are carried out to check diabetes, infection or any other illness in a person.
Process of Rhinoplasty
- The procedure takes 2-4 hours. In case the surgery is complicated, it may take some more time.
- The nose skin is separated from the bone and cartilage that supports it.
- A plastic surgeon may employ different techniques.
- There are two types of Rhinoplasty – Open and closed Rhinoplasty.
- In complicated cases, generally open Rhinoplasty is used.
- A splint is put into the patient’s nose after surgery to help support the new shape of the nose.
- Recovery from this operation usually takes 2-4 weeks depending on the results desired by the patient or complications involved in the surgery.
- After surgery, the face appears little swollen, redness and bruising but it subsides with time.
- In case of excessive swelling, ice packs can be used.
- Doctors generally prescribe pain relief medications after surgery.
- Patient is recommended to avoid vigorous exercises such as cycling, aerobics, jumping, etc. and contact sports such as football, rugby and baseball.
- After 10 days, patient is fit enough to join back on his job.