Menopause is that stage in a woman’s life when ovulation ceases and as a result menstruation stops, it signals the end of the reproductive age of a woman. Hormone levels especially estrogen decreases which lead to a host of problems like hot flushes, dry skin, insomnia, palpitations, migraine, aches and pains, emotional mood swings and vaginal dryness. Menopause occurs after the age of 50 though in some cases it can occur even in forties.
About Natural Remedies for Menopause
Natural remedies work in accordance with the working of the body without disturbing the body’s natural rhythm. Made from naturally occurring herbs, fruits, and vegetables natural remedies offer a cure without any side-effects. Natural remedies do not fill up the body with harmful chemicals and are easy on the pocket too.
Do’s and Don’ts During Menopause
- To control hot flashes, wear clothes made of natural fibers, wear loose clothes that are not restrictive.
- Increase intake of cold foods and restrict hot beverages.
- Practice relaxation techniques like yoga.
- Practice meditation.
- Foods rich in fiber, nuts, and green leafy vegetables should be part of the daily diet.
- Eat smaller meals rich in minerals and nutrients. Avoid meat, eggs, and foods that cause body heat.
- Regular exercise like walking, swimming helps relieve the discomfort of menopause.
- Always have a positive attitude.
- Learn the art of stress management.
- Pick up a new hobby or learn something new.
Menopause Home Remedies
- Increase intake of alfalfa, soybeans, soy sprouts, green beans, sesame seeds, yams, pumpkin, cucumbers, beetroot, apples, papaya, oats, and olive oil.
- Drink distilled water about 10 glasses everyday.
- Boil some carrot seeds in a glass of milk, drink this milk daily.
- Increase intake of calcium rich foods.
- Include beetroot in your diet daily as a salad or as a blended juice.
- Sunflower seeds increase estrogen levels in the body, so include it in the diet.
- Liquorice powder (1-2 tsp) taken daily is an effective home remedy for menopause.
- Local application of almond oil mixed with geranium oil provides relief from vaginal pain.
- Take 2 gms of Indian spikenard which is one of the best home remedy to cure any complications caused by menopause.
- A good remedy for menopause is to take 800 gms of evening primrose oil at least thrice a day.
- Take 30 gms of chasteberry extract once a day; it helps control major symptoms of menopause.
- Indian ginseng is beneficial during menopause to provide relief from insomnia and mood changes.