Rolling pin and board, Griddle, Bowl, Plastic sheets
Quick And Easy
Makki di Roti Ingredients
- 1 ½ cup maize flour
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
- ½ tsp salt
- Unsalted butter
- Warm water
Preparation Method for Makki di Roti Recipe
You can skip the whole wheat flour but rolling the makki di roti will be easier if you use it. Also, even though butter is optional, a little bit dabbed on the makki di roti will make the roti yummier.
- Mix the whole wheat flour, maize flour and salt.
- Add warm water to the flour mix and knead. The consistency of the dough should be medium soft.
- Divide the dough into eight equal portions.
- Traditionally the dough is patted between both hands and not rolled out. Dampen your hands with water before you try this method. Makki di roti is typically made a little thicker than the wheat flour roti.
- If you are not comfortable with patting the dough to make the roti, place the dough ball between two plastic sheets that have been greased with oil and roll.
- Heat a griddle and place the rolled out dough. Cook one side on medium heat till it is half done. Turn it over and again cook on medium heat. Dab about ¼ teaspoon of butter on it. Turn over and press gently. Dab another ¼ teaspoon of butter on this side, turn over and press gently. Both sides have to be cooked to a golden brown colour.
- Serve hot with a dollop of white butter.