Maharashtra Bitter Gourd Curry Ingredients
- Bitter Gourds: 4 small and firm
- Tamarind; 1 lemon sized ball
- Jaggery; 1 small piece
- Onion: 1 finely chopped
- Tomato:1 diced
- Ginger-garlic: 1 tsp
- Curry leaves: 1 stalk
- Peanuts; 1 tbsp, roasted and crushed
- Red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Coriander powder: 1tsp
- Turmeric: ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds: ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Vegetable oil
- Salt: as per taste
Preparation Method for Maharashtra Bitter Gourd Curry Recipe
- Wash and scrape bitter gourds.
- Slit length-wise and remove seeds.
- Rub salt over the bitter gourds and reserve for an hour.
- Wash well and fry the bitter gourds in oil.
- In a shallow pan heat oil. Add mustard and cumin seeds, allow to splutter, add onions and fry well. Add ginger garlic paste and sauté. Add tomatoes and the remaining dry masalas.
- Fry till oil floats on top, add the bitter gourd and the tamarind and jaggery pulp.
- Simmer for 20 minutes till oil floats on top and gravy is thick.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with chapattis.