The inflammation in the vocal cords in the larynx is called Laryngitis. The main symptoms of the Laryngitis, is loss of voice and hoarseness. In mammals, larynx is the organ of voice, which is also called as voice box commonly. Laryngitis is not a serious disease; when it occurs, it will last for a week only.
Laryngitis is caused mostly from viral infection and bacterial infection. Once the viral infection is cured, still you may suffer hoarseness of the throat, from few days to weeks depending on the situation. The other common causes of Laryngitis are
- Talking or screaming on top of their voice
- Smoking habit
Symptoms of Laryngitis:
The common symptoms are
- Sore throat
Home Remedies for Laryngitis:
- Tea with lemon- Sipping warm tea itself reliefs the itchy throat, adding lemon to the tea and consuming helps to regain the voice. The tea contains tannic acids in it, which helps in soothing the inflaming tissue and lemon helps in cutting down the mucus.
- Drinking enough water- To flush out the viral infection or inflammation, drink 8-12 glasses of lukewarm water. Avoid drinking cold or hot water as this may result in irritating the larynx and cause more damage.
- Reconcile in hot shower- Taking bath with hot water helps in soothing the throat and breathing easily. Humidifier usage in the night will also help to relieve the symptoms.
- Drink ginger tea- Make ginger tea by boiling a cup of water with grated ginger until half quantity and cool it. Adding honey to it makes a healthy drink which relieves the symptoms of laryngitis.
- Eating lots of garlic- Crush the garlic cloves and add to milk and boil until it reduces half. If you drink this daily, definitely you will see the result.
- Eating right food- Eat non oily foods like rice and soups, which help in reducing the inflammation of laryngitis.
- Cayenne pepper- In a cup of boiling water add ¼ teaspoon of cayenne pepper and some drops of lemon juice, cool it down and sip slowly.
- Basil leaves- Adding little honey to the juice extracted from 10 basil leaves; licking the juice regularly gives relief.
- Avoid talking- Talking too much and screaming will increase the laryngitis, so talking low and maintaining pitch will help in reducing the disease.
- Take 4-5 cups of water with 3-4 slices of onion and let it boil until the quantity becomes half and cool it. Now take 5-6 teaspoons of this syrup to which add a tablespoon of honey along with some lemon juice in a glass of water and drink slowly.
Herbs which are useful for Treating Laryngitis:
- Tea tree
Prevention of Laryngitis:
“Prevention is always better than cure”, so let us go through some of the precautionary measures to prevent laryngitis.
- Avoid smoking
- Drink plenty of lukewarm water.
- Do not clear the throat when you have laryngitis
- Wash hands before eating
When you feel the symptoms of laryngitis, you can follow few home remedies and feel better and great.