Jaundice is the yellow discoloration of the skin and whites of the eyes that occurs due to excessive bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is the chemical that remains in the blood after the iron in the blood is removed as old red blood cells are destroyed. The yellowish color of skin and whites of the eyes depends upon the level of bilirubin in the blood. Jaundice is actually a symptom of diseases such as a liver malfunctioning, blockage of the bile ducts or gallstones, hepatitis virus, typhoid, cancer, malaria, anemia and yellow fever.
About Jaundice Natural Remedy
Natural remedies are ideal to treat ailments that affect human beings in this stress filled world that we live. Natural remedies are derived from naturally occurring plants, fruits or herbs and treat the disease naturally without any side effects or leaving a trail of chemicals in the body as allopathic medicines do.
Do’s and Don’ts of Jaundice Home Remedies
- Intake of properly washed raw vegetables like radishes, tomato, carrots, and beetroot should be increased.
- Almond and nuts also prove beneficial during jaundice.
- Proper rests till the acute symptoms subsides and increase in fluid intake, like fruit juices is necessary.
- Administer hot water enema on a daily basis.
- A simple balanced carbohydrate diet without fats and oils.
- Increase in fresh fruits, and fruit juices.
- Increase intake of water which is boiled and filtered.
- Avoid red meat, oily and spicy food.
- Stop the intake of alcoholic drinks, beverages and stop smoking.
- Restrict consumption of junk foods, chocolates, aerated drinks and other bakery items.
- Avoid sea foods.
- Reduce salt in your daily diet.
- Do not drink raw milk.
Home Remedies for Jaundice
- Fresh radish leaves should be grinded and strained. Intake of half liter of this juice provides immediate relief to adults and should be taken daily for 8 to 10 days.
- Drinking lots of lemon juice diluted with water.
- A glass of tomato juice mixed with pepper and salt first thing in the morning is an effective remedy for jaundice.
- 1 glass of sugarcane juice mixed with fresh lime taken twice a day also provides relief from jaundice.
- Barley boiled in 3 liters of water and simmered till the water quantity reduces to half. Drink this several times a day.
- Half a glass of beetroot juice mixed with half the juice of lemon provides relief from jaundice in a short period.
- Buttermilk with a pinch of pepper for 7 days cures jaundice.
- One teaspoon of fresh lime juice mixed with half a teaspoon of ginger juice and mint is also a cure for jaundice.
- Boil bitter gourd for some time and have the boiled juice (half a cup) which will be better every morning for an immediate cure.
- A glass of warm water mixed with a pinch of turmeric should be taken 3-4 times a day.
- Make a paste of fresh papaya leaves, mix one teaspoon of this paste to one tablespoon of honey and take this mixture for 2 weeks. It is an effective remedy for jaundice.