Sore throat is the inflammation of the pharynx located at the back of the throat. Sore throat can be caused due to allergy, bacterial or viral infection. It causes severe pain and irritation of the throat, chills and fever. Home remedies for sore throat provide the much needed relief from pain and swelling. This article aims to highlight the common ones.
1. Gargling solutions: made from a variety of herbs can be chosen as per the availability of the herb.
2. Liquorice: When chewed raw, the leaves of this herb are known to soothe inflammation very quickly.
3. Ginger: Decoctions or teas made of ginger are quick fix remedies to sore throat. One could just chew a fresh piece of ginger for instant relief.
4. Cinnamon: Crushed cinnamon and honey mixed in a glass of hot water provide relief to sore throats caused from cold.
5. Horse Radish: our regular white radish is a root. Crush this root and mix it with 1 teaspoon honey and cinnamon powder. Now suspend this mixture in a warm glass of water and use it as a syrup.
6. Cider vinegar syrup: A table spoon of cider vinegar in a glass of hot water, along with a tablespoon of honey makes a good healing syrup.
7. Garlic: Sucking on a garlic clove can help keep the sore throat bacteria at bay. Place one clove of freshly peeled garlic on either cheek and suck on it. Further, press it between the teeth just to release the allicin (anti bacterial agent) but not to break it
8. Steaming: steam inhalation involves boiling water in a flat bottomed vessel and placing your face above the steaming vessel, while covering the head with a thick towel to avoid steam from escaping. A vaporizer such as eucalyptus oil can be added for soothing effect and speedy recovery.
Do try these home remedies for sore throat the next time it stops at your door.