What is Cough
Coughing is the action the body takes to throw away the substances that are obstructing the air passages. There are two types of coughs - acute or chronic. Acute cough starts abruptly and generally stretches up to maximum 2 to 3 weeks. Acute cough is a cough which you get mostly with a cold or flu. Chronic cough last more than 2 to 3 weeks.
Causes of Cough
- Causes of chronic cough may encompass smoking, asthma and allergies.
- Coughing is an instinctive response that keeps your throat and airways clear.
- The general causes of chronic dry coughing are post-nasal drip, asthma, gastroesophageal reflux disorder, post viral cough and a few specific types of drugs for instance, aspirin, beta blockers and ACE inhibitors.
General Treatment of Cough
Cough reflex is developed by stimulation of two different types of afferent nerves. Coughs can be relieved with cough drugs. Water can also work as an alleviating component to ease your cough – irrespective of whether you drink it or add it to the air with a vaporizer or steamy shower. Do not administer non-prescription cough drugs on children who are under 14 years of age.
Home Remedies for Cough
Cough home remedies are very effective:
- Some home remedies for cough are gargling warm water mixed with salt which can also be beneficial by cutting phlegm.
- Drink plenty of hot lemon tea and raspberry jam. Add one spoon of glycerin and one tablespoon of honey to the lemon juice. Take 1 teaspoonful of this mixture of fluid daily.
- Mix equal composition of Aloe Vera juice and honey and take a small quantity of it everyday. This is very effective for cough.
- Boil some eucalyptus leaves and mint leaves in water. Now take the steam of this water through your nose. It will help you in easing your cough as it is one of the best home remedies for cough.
- Make tea adding ginger and drink 6 oz many times a day, as needed.
- Add 2 spoon of turmeric powder and and 1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain) in a cup of water and bring it to boil. Boil this mixture till it reduces to half. Add 1 tsp of honey and consume it twice a day.
- Place slices of oranges in wine overnight. Cook this mixture in the morning until the slices become tender. Eat many times in a day. It is also great for phlegm.
- Mullein offer comfort and soothes the lungs and bronchial tubes, which in turn alleviates the cough.
- Add one gram of turmeric powder and a teaspoon of honey for treatment of dry cough.
- Add a little ginger juice to a teaspoon of honey and consume it for instant relief from cough.
- Drink hot milk mixed with honey before going to bed.
- You can also prepare a mixture out of baked onion juice, honey and comfrey tea which is a great home treatment for cough.
- Sprinkle apple cider vinegar on your pillowcase prior to retiring to bed so that it will soothe your cough all night.
- Grapes also help a great deal in curing cold in a couple of days.
- A few drops of oil of juniper may be used in hot water to get relief from cough.
- A mixture of a cup of grape juice and a teaspoon of honey is also highly recommended for cough relief.
- You can also rely on herbal tea with cinnamon to cease the coughing.
- Take three peppercorns, add a pinch of rock salt and black cumin seeds and take it with water.
- Extract the essence by boiling 50 grams fresh ginger, 5 tablespoon sugar in 2 glasses water for almost 30 minutes. Consume it hot, two times in a day as it is quite an effective home remedy for cough.
- Mix powdered cinnamon, honey and lemon juice. Take two teaspoon twice a day.
- Add a pinch of turmeric powder (haldi) in one cup of warm milk and drink it twice a day.
- Mix half a spoon ginger and tulsi juice respectively with 1 teaspoon of honey. Consume this blend of ingredients 2-3 times a day. This is also very a useful home remedy for cough.
- Blend 1/2 teaspoon of honey and 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice to take it in the interval of every 12 hours. Honey soothes the itchiness by moistening the airways passage of throat.
- Blend 10 tablespoon of coconut milk, 1 tablespoon of poppy seeds along with 1 tablespoon of honey. Take this syrup every night when you go to bed. This home remedy is one of the best cough natural remedies.
- Garlic-onion-chicken soup is also a good remedy for cough. Sip it steaming hot, to offer relief to irritation in throat.
- A recent study has reported that, due to the presence of theobromine in chocolate, a dark chocolate bar can also be an effective treatment for a stubborn cough.