Herbal supplements are very popular nowadays. In a bid to move away from pharmaceutical drugs, people are looking for better ways to take care of their health, and thus, they are turning to natural herbs and remedies. There has been strong evidence and research which shows that taking herbal supplements along with a Healthy Diet and balanced lifestyle can be beneficial. Common herbs are aloe vera, bitter orange, black cohosh, damiana, dong quai herb, Ginger root, ginkgo biloba, green tea, and milk thistle.
One thing to keep in mind is that herbalsupplements are not regulated by common drug-regulating authorities such as the FDA in America. Thus, it is better to use reputed brands so as to make sure of the genuineness of the herbal properties.
Benefits of Herbal Supplements:
Below are some of the common benefits of Herbal Supplements:
- Provide essential nutrients, vitamins and minerals
- Help to clear out toxins from the body
- Strengthen the immune system
- Help to prevent cold and flu
- Aid in overall healing
- Increase blood circulation and oxygenation
- Improve memory and mental alertness
- Reduces inflammation
- Can be used as a mild laxative
- Can prevent migraine headaches
- Can be used to treat arthritis, rheumatic disease and allergies
- Used for anxiety, mild-to-moderate depression, and sleep disorders
- Help to lower cholesterol, blood pressure and triglyceride levels
- Increases mental concentration and physical stamina
Side Effects of Herbal Supplements
- May cause inflammation of the liver if used along with certain medications
- May increase bleeding, and may cause bleeding for women after menopause.
- May decrease the effectiveness of anti-clotting medications.
- May increase swelling or high blood pressure.
- May prolong the effects of certain anesthetics.
- May increase heart rate or high blood pressure.
Recommended Dosage for Herbal Supplements
There is no common recommended dosage for herbal supplements as each one reacts in a different way. It is best to take them strictly on the advice of a professional.