HCG urine tests are conducted to determine the pregnancy in women. Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is first of the chemical markers, which was used to know if a woman is a pregnant. It was discovered in 1930.
• It is the one step test for determining human chorionic gonadotropin.
• It is intended for professional or laboratory use.
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (HCG) is a hormone producing system in women during pregnancy. The appearance and thick concentration of HCG in the pregnant woman act as a good marker for confirming pregnancy. During eighth and eleventh weeks, the concentration of HCG increases.
• The best HCG urine test is a chromatographic immunoassay that uses specific antibodies.
• The pregnancy can be detected within three minutes with this test.
• It is ideal to take pregnancy test when the menstruation is delayed
• One can conduct the pregnancy tests at home also through HCG. Home pregnancy kits are available in the market.
• Conducting the test is ideal in the morning as the first morning urine is said to contain highest concentration of HCG.
The very first indication of pregnancy is the delay of menstruation. The best time to take a pregnancy test is the first or the second day of the due date of your menses. Medical practitioners perform a blood test for detection. You can also conduct a pregnancy test at home. Home pregnancy test kits are available in medical stores. The test taken with the very first morning urine gives the most accurate result.
Urine is kept in the test kit and it is allowed to migrate through the absorbent device. When the device absorbs the urine, the HCG present in a pregnant woman comes in contact with labeled antibody dye and thus changes the color of the band to purple. In the absence of HCG, there would be no change of the color.
• Urine should be collected strictly in a clean glass or plastic container.
• In case if the specimen is not taken immediately, the collected urine should be refrigerated and should be brought back to room temperature before testing. It should be kept in mind that urine should be tested within 48 hours.
• Test strip should be removed from its foil pouch.
• Strip should be held vertically and then it should be dipped into the specimen/urine carefully.
• There is a maximum line printed on the strip and one should not immerse the strip beyond the maximum line.
• Remove the strip after two or three minutes to interpret the results. The results should not be interpreted after five minutes.
• The test is for in vitro diagnostic use only. By in vitro we mean within the glass.
• Test kits should not be used after expiry dates, which will be printed on the kits.
• As specimens are likely to contain infectious agents, they should be handled with care.
• Compared to other tests to determine pregnancy, HCG urine test is considered ideal and gives an accurate result.