Hair loss is a matter of concern to everyone, young or old; male or female. It is a condition which affects all groups of people. While an exact figure cannot be put on the percentage of people who suffer hair loss, it can be concluded that more than 50% of all groups of people suffer major hair loss at some time or the other in their lives.
Facts about Hair Loss
There are several causes of hair loss and these may differ from men to women as described below:
- Normally, a human being loses 100 to 150 hairs a day.
- There are three stages of hair growth – anagen, catagen and telogen. The anagen stage is the stage of active hair growth. The catagen phase occurs when the natural hairs start to break down. During the telogen stage, there is no activity. The hairs that fall daily often do so in the telogen stage.
- 10% of the hairs in the scalp usually shed in the telogen stage at any given time.
- Under normal circumstances, hair loss in not considered an abnormal activity.
- Hair loss can occur due to genetic reasons. Normal hair loss also takes place as a result of ageing.
- A person usually begins to notice marked hair loss from the thirties onwards. Noticeable hair loss can also be caused by excessive stress.
- For women, hormonal changes due to puberty, pregnancy and menopause are the stages in life where hair loss is likely.
- Certain illnesses like thyroid disease, anemia, lupus and iron deficiency can cause high levels of hair loss.
- Any sudden and unprecedented hair loss should be brought to the notice of a medical practitioner to diagnose whether the hair loss is due to any underlying medical conditions.
Prevention of Hair Loss
Here are a few useful tips on how to prevent hair loss:
- Daily consumption of multivitamins containing vitamin B, zinc, calcium, iron and folate helps to keep hair healthy and hair loss at bay.
- Vitamins D and B12 are also believed to help in the prevention of hair loss.
- Women should avoid tying the hair very tightly and excessive styling’s y using curlers to prevent excessive hair loss.
- Gently massaging coconut oil is helpful in preventing hair loss. While massaging the oil into the scalp, one is advised to use the fingertips of the hand rather than the palm.
- As hair is considered to be a living protein, it needs all the nourishment and replenishment that it can get. Maintain a healthy and balanced diet which includes all the nutrients beneficial to the growth and maintenance of healthy hair.
- If the above tips are followed, hair loss can be suppressed. Although it may not be avoided altogether, these tips will help to reduce hair loss to the minimum.