Conditioner for Hair
Many of us use hair conditioners after washing hair. There used to be a time when oil was used as conditioner. Today we have different kinds of conditioners although there are many who think that all conditioners are the same. These different kinds of conditioners serve different purposes. First of all, we should understand how a conditioner has to be used.
Hair Conditioner Procedures
Procedure for using hair conditioner
- After a thorough shampoo, rinse the hair well and wash off the shampoo.
- Gently squeeze out the water from the hair.
- Pour some conditioner on to your palm and rub both palms.
- Then apply the conditioner depending on the instructions on the bottle of conditioner. If you are asked to apply the conditioner only to the hair, avoid application to the scalp.
- If your hair is short, applying conditioner is an easy job. Long hair will require you to first make small partitions and then apply conditioner.
- If your hair is badly tangled, it would probably be a good idea to first detangle the hair using a shower comb.
- Leave the conditioner on according to the instructions on the container.
- Then rinse it thoroughly and wash off all the conditioner.
Types of Hair Conditioners
- Moisturizers - These are made up of humectants which are compounds that hold moisture in the hair.
- Reconstructors - These generally contain protein mostly hydrolyzed human hair keratin protein. As the name suggests, the purpose of this conditioner is to strengthen the hair.
- Acidifiers - Does this sound scary? Acidifiers, conditioners which contain PH value ranging between 2.5 and 3.5, are actually good for your hair. These are good for shiny hair and also improve the hair texture.
- Detanglers - These are mostly acidifiers and are good for those who lose a lot of hair due to tangling. Some of them have instant results whereas for some others you have to wait for a period of 5 minutes or so.
- Thermal Protectors - These protect the hair against excess heat. These conditioners are ideal for those people who blow dry their hair. Blow drying damages hair and these conditioners prevent the damage.
- Glossers - These conditioners are used for cosmetic purposes.
- Oils or Essential Fatty Acids - These are ideal for dry hair. They resemble the natural oil produced by the scalp. Applying this conditioner makes the hair soft.