Glucosamine and chondroitin are dietary supplements used generally as a cure against arthritis. It is believed that it decreases inflammation, stimulates cells that produce cartilages, inhibits certain enzyme creation which damage the cartilage. Some of the side effects of Glucosamine and chondroitin as supplement include nausea, diarrhea and heartburn.
• Decreasing inflammation of the bones
• Stimulating chondrocytes, cells that make and maintain cartilage
• Decreases the production of certain compounds that degrade cartilage.
Chondroitin is a molecule that is naturally present in the human body. It is part of large molecules also known as glycosaminoglycans. Chondroitin helps in fighting arthritis in the following ways:
• Inhibiting production of cartilage-damaging enzyme known as leukocyte elastase
• Decreasing inflammation in cartilages
• Increasing the production of hyaluronic acid, an ingredient of synovial fluid (the lubricating fluid in joints) and of cartilage.
A glucosamine dosage of 1500mg once daily or 500mg 3 times daily is recommended. A chondroitin dose of 200 to 400mg two or three times daily is recommended to be taken orally. From scientific studies there has been no evidences showing that active ingredients provide any additional benefits. It has been noticed that it takes around 4 to 8 weeks before any significant benefits can be seen.
Side effects of glucosamine
• High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) in people with diabetes
Side Effects of Chondroitin
• Pain in the middle upper abdomen (such as what you might feel with acid reflux)
• Swollen eyelids
• Swollen ankles or feet
• Hair loss
• Heart palpitations or feeling that your heart has skipped a beat.
Seek immediate medical attention if signs of an allergic reaction develop, such as:
• A rash or hives
• Swelling of the lips, mouth, or throat
• Wheezing or difficulty in breathing.
There is no sure way to find out the side effects beforehand. Make sure that the healthcare provider is informed as soon as any signs of side-effects are witnessed. A timely diagnosis may be beneficial in treatment of any fatalities. Always make sure to take the supplement as prescribed by the doctor.