Ginkgo Biloba is a natural herbal supplement derived from the leaves of Ginkgo Biloba tree, one of the longest living trees in the world. Ginkgo Biloba is generally used to enhance memory and mental functioning. Gingko Biloba can also be used to prevent cell damage because of its blood thinning properties. Major side effects associated with Ginkgo Biloba include upset stomach, headaches and dizziness.
Ginkgo Biloba is used in the treatment of some of the following:
• Various types of dementia, including Alzheimer's disease
• Memory loss in the elderly
• Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
• Vertigo (a spinning sensation)
• Intermittent claudication (a blood vessel disorder that causes pain in the legs while walking)
• Lyme disease
• Sexual problems
• Eye problems, including age-related macular degeneration and glaucoma
• Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
• Blood clots
• Heart disease
• High cholesterol
• Chronic fatigue syndrome
• Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
• High blood pressure.
It is critical to take any supplement or medication as prescribed by the doctor. Studies have shown that normal dosage of Ginkgo Biloba should range between 120mg to 400mg and that too in two three smalle doses. Improper usage of Ginkgo Biloba may result in fatal side effects.
Side effects of Ginkgo Biloba
Ginkgo Biloba if not taken according to prescription may result in side effects. Ginkgo Biloba contains a toxin named ginkgolic acid. This acid is known to cause severe allergies and it is carcinogenic (capable of causing cancer). Excess usage of Ginkgo Biloba may also lead to internal bleeding. It is recommended to make sure that the supplement being taken does not contain more than 5ppm of ginkgolic acid.
Overdose of Ginkgo Biloba supplement may cause severe adverse effects, and it is recommended that a doctor is consulted before taking any dosage of Ginkgo Biloba supplement. The symptoms caused due to overdose are quite similar to its side effects.
Some precautionary steps are advised before taking Ginkgo Biloba supplement:
• It is important to choose a reputable manufacturer for Ginkgo biloba supplements. It is a good thought to look for the "USP" symbol, as this indicates that the supplement has been tested and includes the right ingredients in the appropriate amount.
• If you have any chronic health problems or take any prescription medications, it is probably a good idea to check with your healthcare provider before taking Ginkgo biloba.