Facts about Dong Quai
- Dong Quai is a root which has a history of over 1000 years of usage in Japan, China and Korea.
- It is usually used in combination with other herbs and is believed to be a remedy for female reproductive problems.
- It is believed to relieve menstrual cramps and improve blood circulation. Dong Quai is also known as “female ginseng”.
Benefits of Dong Quai Supplement
- Dong quai is an effective blood tonic. It has the effect of toning the blood and nourishes it too as it is enriched with beneficial minerals and vitamins.
- It has antispasmodic properties which result in dilation of blood vessels enhancing blood flow during menstruation and after.
- It is also believed to increase fertility levels in women.
- If for some reason there are abnormalities in the production of the hormone estrogen in the body, it brings the hormone back to the normal level.
- This root also serves as an excellent iron tonic. The cobalt content present in dong quai is understood to improve the hemoglobin content in blood.
- Regular intake of dong quai helps in reducing anxiety and may also help in combating stress and it has the capacity to calm the nervous system.
- Dong quai is believed to preserve the natural beauty of women which may well be the key to the beauty of Chinese women.
- Even though dong quai is considered as a remedy for women, it is beneficial to men. It improves sperm quality due to the presence of ferulic acid.
- Skin conditions like eczema, rosacea and alopecia are believed to be treatable by taking dong quai.
Who Can Benefit from Dong Quai
Dong quai is mostly beneficial to adult women, though there are a few benefits of this root for men as well. It is not advisable to give it to children, as sufficient research has not been done to prove that there are no adverse side effects on children.
Side Effects of Dong Quai Supplement
- Dong quai may help in the development of breast cancer due to the phytoestrogens present in it.
- Dong quai may increase sensitivity of the skin, thereby increasing risk of skin inflammation as a result of exposure to sunlight.
- As dong quai helps in thinning blood and dilation of blood vessels, it should not be used by those who are taking treatment involving any anticoagulant.
Dosage of Dong Quai Supplement
Powdered dong quai is available in capsules and tablets. 500 to 600 mg can be taken up to six times a day. It is however recommended that a doctor should be consulted before taking dong quai.