Hair loss causes a lot of anxiety with most people. The appearance of a person’s hair usually identifies them and makes each person unique from the other. Hair loss is different from baldness. While baldness is a permanent condition, hair loss is not always so. Due to this reason, much attention is given to hair loss and its causes. Hair loss can be suppressed and even stopped and reversed. Thus, there is a lot of interest generated about how to deal with hair loss.
Dealing with Hair Loss
Here are a few tips that should help a person dealing with hair loss:
- Avoid high doses of vitamin A as this is believed to be a major cause of hair loss.
- Hormonal imbalance can result in hair loss. Therefore, it is advisable to have the hormone levels tested. If hair loss is due to hormone imbalance, it may be arrested once the hormone levels are stabilized.
- For women, wearing tight hair like as in pigtails, heavy use of hair curling devices and frequent changing of hairstyles should be avoided as this can lead to hair loss.
- Reduction in anxiety and stress levels can actually reduce the rate of hair loss. There is a lot of truth in the fact that stress is a factor for hair loss. Two types of hair loss can occur due to stress – telogen effluvium and alopecia areata. In the first case, hair stops growing and will fall out after 2 to 3 months. It will grow back after 6 to 9 months. In the case of alopecia areata however, the hair falls in patches in a few weeks and usually needs treatment to restore the hair growth.
- Sometimes chemicals and application of hot oils can be the cause of hair loss. These should be reduced or stopped in order to bring hair loss to a halt.
- Mild conditioners and shampoos should reduce the damage level of the hair.
- A good remedy for controlling hair loss is to massage the scalp with rosemary oil in a base of olive oil. The combined effect of the massaging and the rosemary oil helps in stimulation of the scalp and promotion of hair growth.
- If there is no obvious cause for hair loss like the above mentioned reasons, it is advisable to visit a doctor to find out the real cause of hair loss which could be due to diabetes or lupus among other such serious ailments.
- A last word – sometimes the hair loss may be due to hereditary reasons. There is not much one can do to avoid hair loss due to hereditary reasons. One can only take the precautions mentioned above in order to delay hair loss. In such cases, it is important to come to terms with the condition. If you are very sensitive about being bald, then there are several artificial aids available like hair weaving or wigs.