Bodybuilding supplements are specific dietary supplements commonly used by people involved in athletics and bodybuilding. There is no common consensus that using bodybuilding supplements is actually good for you while it is known that many have potentially dangerous side effects.
Different types of Bodybuilding Supplements
- whey protein- usually contains whey protein and creatine monohydrate, plus vitamins and other supplements.
- Branched-chain amino acids: There are basically three types of branched-chain amino acids(BCAAs): leucine, isoleucine, and valine each of which have specific benefits on the different biological processes in the body.
- Glutamine – is actually a type of amino acid but needs to be supplemented individually as the bodys natural glutamine levels are depleted during anaerobic exercise.
- Essential fatty acids – are necessary as bodybuilders are usually on low fat diets and actually become fat deficient.
- Meal replacement products are supposed to replace a meal and they are usually high in protein and low in fat, containing few carbohydrates and other vitamins and minerals.
- Prohormones are precursors to hormones specifically the natural hormone testosterone. The use of prohormones can easily lead to side effects such as rise in estrogen levels.
- Creatine- is an organic acid that naturally occurs in the body and supplies energy to muscle cells in short bursts of energy (such as are required for lifting weights). Creatine is commonly found in many foods such as fish and beef. It helps to make the muscles larger.
- Thermogenic products - are those that increase the metabolic rate and body temperature thus burning body fat faster.
- Testosterone boosters – produce an increase in the testosterone levels.
Benefits of Bodybuilding Supplements
- Bodybuilding supplements slow aging as they contain antioxidants.
- Bodybuilding supplements help you achieve weight and muscle mass.
- Bodybuilding supplements make your immune system stronger as they are full of vitamins and minerals that will help keep off common ailments.
- Bodybuilding supplements help you build up strength and tone your body.
Side effects of Bodybuilding Supplements
- Excess testosterone can lead to hair loss and acne, and if it gets converted into estrogens, this can lead to gynecomastia (development of breasts) and testicular atrophy.
- Too much caffeine can lead to heart palpitations, diarrhea, dehydration and nervousness.
- Excess consumption of glutamine can lead to manic depression, nausea, stomach upset, body ache, lack of concentration, and may also affect the brain.
- Overconsumption of whey protein may lead to liver damage, kidney damage, allergies and osteoporosis.
- "Prosteroid" supplements may lead to heart disease and a lowered sex drive.
Recommended dosage for Bodybuilding Supplements
Here are some common dosages:
- Creatine : 5-20 grams per day
- caffeine:300mg per day
- Andro supplements: 200mg per day
- Glutamine:5-15 grams per day
However it is best to take the advice of a professional when taking bodybuilding supplements.