A non stick thick bottomed pan, some bowls
Bhagara Baingan Ingredients
- Small eggplants/Baingan: 8
- Onion: 1 small, finely sliced
- Ginger-garlic paste: 4 tsps
- Red chili powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: ½ tsp
- Coriander seeds: 2 tsps
- Peanuts: 25 gms
- Sesame seeds: 25 gms
- Dry coconut: 50 gms
- Mustard seeds, methi seeds: 1 tsp combined
- Curry leaves: one small bunch
- Tamarind: 2 lemon sized balls
- Salt: to taste
- Cilantro leaves: one small bunch
- Vegetable oil: 5 tbsps
Preparation Method for Bhagara Baingan Recipe
- Wash, the Baingan and cut them crosswise near the base, let the stem be.
- Wash and soak the tamarind in one bowl of water.
- Wash and pat dry the curry leaves.
- Wash the cilantro leaves and chop finely.
- Dry roast the peanuts, sesame seeds and dry coconut, till it gives an aroma.
- Grind the roasted ingredients with the coriander seeds to a fine paste.
- Heat 2 tbsps of oil in the pan and stir fry the Baingan, till it changes color.
- Remove and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add the remaining oil and splutter the mustard and methi seeds.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté, add onions and fry.
- Finally add the ground paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, salt and simmer on low flame till oil floats on top.
- Add the tamarind pulp and let it cook for 5 minutes. Add the sautéed Baingan and simmer for few more minutes.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- Bhagara Baingan is ready to serve as a side dish accompanying the Biryani or simply with plain rice.