Acidity is a very common problem faced by many people. There are many reasons for a person to suffer from acidity. Acidity can be caused by eating unhealthy food, not eating food on time and eating a lot of junk food. In medical terms, acidity is caused when gastric juices move from the stomach into the food pipe (esophagus). This happens when hydro acid in the stomach moves towards the esophagus, making it dysfunctional.
It is a condition when there is too much secretion of acid in the stomach. Acidity is also known as acid dyspepsia or hyperacidity. Other than medicines, home remedies or natural remedies are the most effective way to cure this problem. Below are a few causes of acidity
Causes of Acidity
- Acidity can be causes when the digestive system does not function properly.
- If a person drinks alcohol in excess, it can also cause acidity.
- One of the common causes for acidity is if a person skips breakfast or is empty stomach for a long time.
- Eating food rich in fats like chocolates can also cause acidity.
- If a person eats too much of spicy food, junk food or oily food it leads to a burning sensation in the chest and stomach, thus causing acidity.
Symptoms of Acidity
- Continuous stomachache and restlessness
- Vomiting and nausea
- Stomach cramps
- Passing of wind and sour burps
- Coughing and respiratory problems
Do’s and Don’ts for Acidity
- Vegetables and fruits which are rich in fiber help in easy digestion.
- Avoid foods that are rich in fat and spicy. These types of foods aggravate acidity as the food doesn’t get easily digested.
- Avoid drinking too much of coffee and tea, sour foods, red meat and onions.
- Too much of alcohol and smoking also leads to acidity.
- Avoid eating acidic foods like vinegar, curds, pickles and tamarind.
- Limit yourself to junk, fatty, excess of chocolates and fried food.
- Eat food that is rich in carbohydrate like rice as they are easy to digest.
- You should have your dinner at least 2-3 hours before going to bed.
- Eat lots of salad and fruits like watermelon, banana, cucumber and papaya. These help to reduce the acidity level in the body.
Home Remedies for Acidity
Take some coriander and ginger in equal quantity. This is very good for acidity.
Make sure you drink at least 1-2 glasses of water as soon as you wake up in the morning. This keeps your system clear and prevents acidity.
Roast a few cumin seeds and mix it with some orange juice. You should also add some rock salt in the mixture. This is a very effective home remedy and would relieve you from acidity.
Take some milk and mix two tablespoons of Isabgol. Have this after every meal. This is a very good home remedy to prevent acidity.
Jaggery taken after every one hour is also an effective home remedy to cure acidity.
Coconut oil also helps to cure acidity. It is one of the best home remedy.