Motorcycles are driven more in some states than others - part of the reason is the weather. Every state including California has rules in place to help drivers of all vehicles stay safe on the road. Unlike in some other countries where insurance can be had on a seasonal basis, in the US drivers are required to have insurance year round.
In California, according to DMV rules, a new rider has to take an approved training course. This will help people become good riders and also get a discount on the insurance premiums.
- Riders should take care not to get too many tickets as it will increase insurance premiums.
- Installation of anti-theft devices will also help in getting lower insurance premiums.
- Depending on the type of bike, insurance rates can go up or be reasonable. Sports bikes will be higher premiums – these are also more likely to get stolen, hence higher premiums.
- Insurance companies will offer discounts for multiple vehicles insured with them.
- Check with your insurer if they offer discounts based on age and also for being a member of a motorcycle riders club.
- Make sure to have higher deductibles so that damages are covered to a large extent.
- It is ok to drop collision coverage on older bikes.
- Insurance rates will vary with companies – so check them out before buying.
- Regardless of age, a person is expected to get a learner’s permit and wait 6 months before going in for the driving test.
- Before taking the test, people have to submit a completed DL 44 form, do a written test, pass the vision exam and offer proof of safety course completion.
Liability insurance is a must in California. There are the minimum amounts as required by law:
- $15,000 for injury or death to one person
- $30,000 for injury or death to more than one person
- $5,000 for property damage
It is always a good idea to shop around as rates can differ from one carrier to another. It is also a good idea to check if it can be clubbed along the car insurance policy. In California, it is required by law that the driver and passenger wear helmets while riding. Insurance information is put on the DMV website – so in case a person lets their coverage lapse, registration is suspended and severe penalties are imposed.
The purpose of putting such stringent measures in place is to keep all drivers safe on the road and ensuring that rules are obeyed. People do stick to the rules as it eventually costs them money too.
Motorcycle Insurance Related Articles