Metabolism: Metabolism is a process of converting food into energy. The strength and activeness in the body comes from efficient working of metabolism process in the body. Defining the efficiency of metabolism on its speed (slow or fast) is not a scientific methodology. The efficiency of the process can be defined by dividing it into two categories such as effective metabolism or inefficient or dysfunctional metabolism. There are several components that together make the metabolism process effective or functional.
The components are:
Basal metabolism: We get our daily energy and strength through 60 to 65 percent of calories we eat in a day. The calories gained help in the smooth functioning of the systems in the body and provide activeness and strength to do physical activities. Although calories are required then too when the person has not done single physical activity, as functions happening inside the body still requires some calories to work smoothly.
Physical activity: Around 25 percent of the whole calories, we gained from the food we eat, go for physical activities and movements performed by us. Calories support the activeness of the body and provide strength to it.
Thermic effect of food: The food we eat also consumes a portion (10 percent) of calories we gain in the whole day.
Calories required for effective metabolism could be calculated by using the formula given below:
CALORIES TAKEN IN FROM FOOD = CALORIES EXPENDED FROM BASAL METABOLISM +
CALORIES EXPENDED BY ACTIVITY + CALORIES EXPENDED DIGESTING FOOD (THERMIC EFFECT)
The metabolism becomes slow or ineffective when the intake of calories is much higher than its consumption. The condition depicting ineffective metabolic activities in the body is defined as
Causes of slow metabolism:
- Over weight: Main reason behind the slow metabolic activities in the body is extra weight. A person who is having extra kilos is on risky side of this medical complication. Over weight and obesity makes person lazy and reduces the burning of extra calories from the body. Physical activities help in maintaining the balance of calories in the body.
- Thyroid: Overweight people, who also have thyroid problem, are mostly affected by slow metabolism. Thyroid problem is caused due to improper secretion of hormones in the body. The condition becomes worse in this case, because intake of low calories too doesn’t help out. Thyroid results in abnormal gaining of weight that causes ineffective basal metabolism reduced physical activities, and low thermic effect in the body.
- Dehydration: Dehydration decreases the speed of metabolism in the body.
Treatment for slow metabolism:
- Diagnosis of hypothyroidism: To treat slow metabolism, it is essential to detect the reason behind low burning of calories. If you are gaining weight abnormally, then it is necessary to get yourself check for ailments like hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism is detected by doing thyroid tests and is treated by giving drug and dosages.
- Increase basal metabolism: Metabolism is mainly related to genetic function, but speed of basal metabolism can be increased by building muscle. Muscle burns more calories than fat because muscle cells are more metabolically active (8 times) than fat cells. Weight lifting exercises helps in building muscles and improves the speed of basal metabolism.
- Intake of Antioxidants: Intake of sufficient amount of antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin B helps in maintaining the smooth functioning of metabolism in the body.
- Balanced diet: A diet full of fibers and non-greasy foods is helpful in improving the slow metabolism. The diet should be rich in nutrients and vitamins to enhance the activeness.
- High intake of water: Drink at least 2 liters of water daily for the smooth functioning of digestive system and to remove waste substances from the body. Proper intake of water and other fluids helps in maintaining the temperature and metabolism.