Hair Fall Diet
Hair fall is one of the major cosmetic problems faced by the modern world especially the youth. It may affect males, females or children i.e., hair loss occurs irrespective of the age and gender. Hairs of a healthy individual usually fall in a normal rate but in some adverse conditions it may fall off in excess. The reason for hair fall may vary within different individuals. The most important causes are bacterial infection, viral infection, fungal infection, hormonal imbalance, chemical treatment, environmental pollution, emotional problems, dry scalp, pregnancy, menopause, certain drugs, improper diet and lack of essential nutrients etc.
Diet Plan to Prevent Hair Loss
One of the major reasons for hair fall is unhealthy eating habits. Some important points to be noted are:
- Drink plenty of water. A minimum of 12 to 14 glasses of water apart from other drinks like fruit juices, tea, and coffee should be drunk daily to prevent hair fall.
- Eat lots of fruits and vegetables daily.
- Diet rich in vitamin A should be included as much as possible. Vitamin A helps in healthy growth of scalp and in stimulating hair follicles. Daily requirement of vitamin A in adults is 5,000 IU (International Unit). The vitamin A is available from both plant source and animal source. Green leafy vegetables, yellow red or orange fruits , vegetables like carrot, turnip etc. are the major plant source of vitamin A. Animal source for Vitamin A include fortified milk, egg, liver, fish oil etc. Excess vitamin A concentration in body may also trigger hair falls. So the level of Vitamin A should be maintained in normal level within the body.
- Food rich in vitamin E like avocados, nuts, seeds, olive oil should be included in diet as it promotes hair growth.
- B complex vitamins like vitamin B6, folic acid, vitamin B12 and biotin are very good for proper hair growth. These vitamins play an important role in red blood cell formation whose one of the major function is carrying oxygen throughout the body and thus helps in activating the hair follicles. The dietary intake of vitamin B6 for an adult individual is 2.0 milligrams per day. The main sources of vitamin B6 are fish, chicken, liver, kidney, soy bean, whole grains, cereals, nuts etc. The daily requirement of folic acid for an adult individual is 400 micrograms per day. Food rich in folic acid are avocado, orange, fortified cereals, wheat germ, beet root, sugar beet, leafy vegetables, broccoli, brewers yeast, liver etc. The dietary intake of for an adult individual is 6.0 micrograms per day. Sources of vitamin B12 include milk and milk products, poultry, meat, fishes including shell fish, fortified grains etc. Biotin which is another member of vitamin B complex family helps in strengthening the hairs. It also helps in the metabolism of scalp oil. It is rich in eggs and livers in addition it is also synthesized in the intestine by gut bacteria.
- Vitamin C rich foods like orange, berries, grapes, lemon, pine apple, water melons, tomatoes, potatoes etc. should be included in diet as much as possible. Vitamin C helps in preventing hair splitting, and hair breakage. The dietary requirement of vitamin C for an adult individual is 60 milligrams per day.
- The food items which contain copper in it should be included in diet. Food which contains copper includes seeds, nuts etc. Copper is important in the formation of hemoglobin and helps to carry oxygen in RBC. Copper deficiency may lead to hair loss by weakening the hair shaft. The daily requirement of copper for an adult individual is 2.0 milligrams per day.
- Iron is also required for normal hair growth. Thus iron rich foods like oysters, chicken liver, beef liver, turkey, sea foods like sardines, shrimps etc. should be included in diet. Iron is the major component of the oxygen carrying pigment hemoglobin. Thus iron deficiency badly effects the red blood cell formation. The dietary requirement of iron for an adult individual is 18 milligrams per day.
- Zinc containing foods like milk, legumes, nuts, whole grains etc. should be included in diet. Zinc helps in cell reproduction, cell growth and development. The dietary requirement of zinc in an adult individual is 15 milligrams per day.
- Always consume food rich in protein content. Protein is very much essential for the formation of new hair strands from the hair follicle. Some of the most common foods rich in protein content are milk, milk products, egg, fish, poultry, soy bean, pulses, grains etc.
- Consume low carbohydrate and low fat containing foods.
Yoga For Hair Fall Treatment
Since yoga plays a great role in proper blood circulation, overcoming anxiety, stress and indigestion it helps in preventing hair loss problems. Yoga asanas which helps in preventing hair loss are Vagrasana and Pawanmuktasana.
Natural Remedies For Hair Loss
- Massage the scalp with amla oil prepared by boiling amla in coconut oil is good for hair fall treatment.
- Shampoo made by mixing amla and lemon juice helps in preventing hair loss.
- Mix lemon juice with coconut oil and gently massage on the scalp.
- Applying the extract obtained from green coriander leaf on the scalp is beneficial in preventing hair loss.
- Boil henna leaves in mustard oil and apply on scalp for good hair growth.
- Application of coconut milk on the scalp helps reducing scalp damage.
- Eating white sesame seeds in empty stomach promotes hair growth as it is rich in magnesium and calcium.
- For dry hair tea made of burdock and marshmallow is very much effective.
- Regular physical exercise should be practiced.
- Juices made with extracts of lettuce leaf and spinach promotes proper hair growth.
- A paste made from cooked black beans and fenugreek is good for cleansing the hair.
- Soak fenugreek in water and massage it on the scalp and wrap it with a cloth. Allow it to stand for 2 to 3 hours and then wash it. Repeat this twice a week for better result.
- Massage the scalp with egg white and keep it for one hour and then wash it off.
- Application of henna paste on scalp and hair twice a month will give good result.
- Boil one tea spoon full of mustard seed in a cup of water for 5 minutes. Drink this after cooling.
- Massaging the scalp with olive oil or mustard oil will give good result.
Even though hair fall is not a serious problem it should be treated on time as excess hair fall may even lead to baldness.