Known as Myelopathy, spinal cord injuries are an injury to the nerve fibers in the spinal cord. First aid for spinal cord injury is very important. It can take place due to accidents, falling, sports injury, etc. Sometimes it may occur due to polio, Spina Bifida, Tumor, Friedreich’s Ataxia, etc. They can result in loss of physical sensation and mobility.
Spinal Cord Injury Symptoms
Symptoms of spinal cord injuries must be observed while administering first aid for Spinal cord injury to the victim. The symptoms may include-
Loss of mobility, Head in unusual position, Weakness, Numbness or tingling sensation in the body, Difficulty in walking, Loss of movement of arms or legs, Loss of bladder and bowel control, Unconsciousness, Shock, Stiff neck or pain in neck, etc.
First Aid For Spinal Injury Immediate Treatment
- At a first glance it is difficult to know if a person is suffering from spinal cord injury.
- The first step to provide first aid for spinal cord injury is to remove them from any imminent risk.
- The next and the most important step are to stabilize the neck.
- It is important that one person stays at the injured person’s head continuously holding his neck immobile.
- Place your hands on both sides of the head with gentle but firm pressure.
- Do not try to reposition the neck and also avoid bending or twisting of neck.
- Even when attempting to open the airway to breathe, the back of the head must not be tilted abruptly.
- Instead one can try to lift the jaw.
- In case of serious spinal injury, it is not advisable to roll the person until and unless it is very important. For example if he is bleeding profusely and choking on his own blood then it becomes necessary to roll him.
- When rolling victim’s body, care should be taken that his entire body remains in the same line while rolling so as to avoid further damage to his spinal cord.
- Victim’s head or body must not be bent, lifted or moved.
- It is very important that the victim is kept completely still otherwise he may injure himself more.
- Until medical help arrives try to keep the person in the same situation in which he was found.
- Spinal injuries can be fatal therefore it is necessary to provide first aid for spinal cord injury to the victim to avoid further complications.
Taking necessary precautions and applying suitable first aid for spinal cord injury could prevent patient from suffering further problems.
See Also Other First Aid Articles