Bleeding gums is a common problem faced by many people. There can be a number of reasons for bleeding gums. These days like adults, even children face the problem of bleeding gums. Bleeding gums is a disease that affects the oral cavity which leads to severe bleeding of the gums. A serious result is tooth loss. Below are a few first aid tips for bleeding gums:-
First Aid for Bleeding Gums
First when you realize that you have bleeding gums you should:-
- Make an ice pack and apply pressure on your gums to stop the bleeding.
- Another thing to do is take some lukewarm water and add a pinch of salt. Rinse your mouth with it. This would immediately stop bleeding gums.
- If you have bleeding gums, the best thing is to massage your gums with your finger for some time.
- Always keep vitamin supplements as this also stops bleeding gums.
Causes of Bleeding Gums
There are many causes that lead to bleeding gums. A few of them are given below:-
- Inflammation caused by infection
- Chemical irritants
- Deficiency of Vitamin C/K
- Poor oral hygiene
- Oral trauma for example tooth brush abrasion
- Inadequate plaque removal
- Eating hot food
Prevention of Bleeding Gums
Anyone may suffer from bleeding gums. The only way to get rid of it is to prevent it and take good care. Below are a few tips on how you can prevent bleeding gums:-
- The first main cause of bleeding gums is to avoid tobacco.
- If you are suffering from bleeding gums, reduce the intake of carbohydrates like rich food.
- Whenever you brush your teeth, use a soft bristle brush as this would be gentle on your gums.
- Another way to prevent is not to have snacks between meals. Most people have a habit of having snacks in between meals which should be avoided.
- Flossing your teeth everyday will also prevent bleeding of gums.
- After every 6 months, visit your dentist and remove plaque.
Keeping the above first aid tips in mind, you can prevent things from getting worse. If you notice that you are suffering from bleeding gums, do check with your dentist and take precautions.
See Also Other First Aid Articles