Eyeglasses are the visual aid that helps correct your vision or improve your eyesight.
If you are facing any problem, be it blurred vision, frequent headaches, vision distortion or lack of clarity in vision, immediately consult a nearest optician. He will conduct tests on your eyes and depending on the results, he will recommend a number for your eyes.
You will have to get your eyeglasses made according to the number given to you by the doctor. Eyeglasses is very necessary to get your eyeglasses made according to the doctor’s prescription because if you don’t do so, it may lead to permanent damage of your eyes.Though you can’t change your number, you can select frames and lenses according to your whims and fancies to give you that stylish look.
- Eyeglass frames are made of either plastic or metal. Generally, plastic frames are cost effective and light in weight. However, they can break easily as compared to the metal frames. Also, when exposed to too much sunlight, strength of plastic frames is reduced. Plastic frames too come in different varieties like zyl (zylonite) and nylon-blended frames. The advantages of blended nylon frames are that they are strong, flexible and light in weight.
- In metal frames, titanium framessis becoming popular these days as it is durable, strong and light in weight. Tough earlier titanium frames used to come only in silver grey color, now they are available in almost all colors.
- Another option could be beryllium, which is cheaper than titanium frames, strong, flexible and light in weight. Flexion frames returns to its original shape even after it is twisted or bended. Other advantages of flexion frames are its light weight, flexibility, durability and hypo allergic qualities. Then there are stainless steel and aluminum frames. Besides plastic and metal frames, there are some unusual frames which cater to a niche audience. These frames are generally very expensive and are not available in all the markets. Silver or gold frames have silver or gold plating on the frames. Wood and bone frames, generally handmade, are very expensive, stiffer and less adjustable. Semi-precious or precious stones are sometimes used to add glamour and style quotient to your eyes.
- After selecting the kind of frames, make sure that the shape of the frame you choose suits your face. If you have a round face, you should choose narrow eyeglasses like rectangular shaped to make your face look longer and thinner. For an oval face, choose frames that are neither too deep nor too narrow. For faces that are broad at top and narrow downwards, you should choose rimless frames in light colors and light weight.
- There are different types of lenses – high index lenses, aspheric lenses, multifocal lenses and progressive lenses. High-index lenses provide good visual clarity and are thinner and lighter. Aspheric lenses are best suitable for strong prescription and are flatter than other lenses. You can also get ultra-violet coating and scratch-resistant coating done on your lenses to increase its durability.
- Then there are photo chromic lens glasses which are used both as eyeglasses as well as sunglasses. When used in outdoors, these lenses become dark to protect bright light or ultra-violet rays from entering the eyes. Polycarbonate lenses, which are thinner in comparison to other plastic lenses, are best for kids.
- Whichever eyeglasses you choose, make sure that you clean them with a soft cloth and the solution available in the market for cleaning the eyeglasses. Never clean them with water. Also keep it upside down when you are not wearing them as it would increase its life and make them more durable.