Important Information about Avonex Drug
- Avonex is a form of protein called beta interferon that occurs naturally in the body that helps the body fight viral infections.
- The generic name of avonex is interferon beta-1a.
- Before taking avonex tell to doctor if you have liver disease, epilepsy or other seizure disorder, heart disease, thyroid disorder.
Avonex serious side effects are:
- Depressed mood, anxiety, trouble sleeping, restlessness, or thoughts of suicide or hurting yourself
- Easy bruising or bleeding, weakness
- Seizure (convulsions)
- Numbness or tingling in your hands or feet
- Pain or burning when you urinate
- Pain, swelling, or skin changes where the injection was given
- Fever, chills, body aches, flu symptoms
- Nausea, stomach pain, low fever, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundices (yellowing of the skin or eyes).
Less serious side effects are:
- Stomach pain
- Runny or stuffy nose.