Arthritis is the common complaint by most of the senior citizens. Arthritis patients suffer from severe pain at joints as arthritis affects the musculoskeletal system and the joints. Though there are 100 types of arthritis, osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are the major types which are commonly noticed. Though the effect depends on the type of arthritis, most of patients suffer from fatigue and stiffness besides the pain at joints. The reasons for arthritis can be the combination of any of the factors – hereditary, physical strain for a long run, infections, injury; heavy weight of the body or any related disease.
Most of the arthritis patients question whether they need to change the diet. The following are the diet tips that could help them.
1. Include fish: The major content that could bring relief to arthritis pain is Omega -3. This would be rich in few of the oily fishes like salmon, sardines and trout. If you love eating fish, you can consume 100 grams of fish twice or thrice a week. Researchers have proven that intake of fish or fish supplements could help in reducing pain and stiffness.
2. Avoid fatty food: Reducing the extra weight helps arthritis patients to gain better and quick results. Fatty food like cheese, red meat etc would increase the weight. Reducing them is suggested.
3. Take nuts: Most of the nuts are proven that they possess monounsaturated fat that could fight with the inflammation. Some of the nuts such as walnut contain high levels of omega-3. These could be the alternate choice to fish for the vegetarians or vegans. Experts suggest taking at least 40 grams of nuts per day.
4. Consume seeds: seeds like sunflower seeds possess omega-3 fatty acids. Include a table spoon of seeds in the regular food.
5. Change the oils: Olive oil contains omega-3 fatty acids. Even avocado and grape seed oils also give good results. Thus shifting to these oils from common vegetable oil can help to reduce the inflammation.
6. Eat fruits: Fruits like apples, strawberries, cherries and raspberry help to improve the antioxidants that improve the stamina of your body to fight with damaging cells.
7. Try different types of beans: Most of the varieties of the beans could improve health of the muscles and improve the movements of joints. They possess many minerals and carbohydrates that enrich the muscle power. Red beans, black beans, black-eyed peas, kidney beans, pinto beans, garbanzo beans etc are few of the varieties. Altering the variety, try to take at least a cup of cooked beans per week.
8. Reduce the consumption of tomato and potato: though it is not proven that these veggies are the reasons for arthritis, most of the patients complain that the consumption increased the pain. Many scientists believe that solanine, a chemical, that present in these vegetables is the cause of the pain increase. The chemical is also found in red bell peppers and egg plants.
9. Add garlic: Arthritis Research and Therapy Journal mentions that garlic could help in repairing the swollen joints. Thus, try to add garlic in moderate amount in the regular food.
10. Shift to Green tea: Green tea has proven records in reducing the risk of many diseases like cancer and heart diseases. The anti-inflammatory feature of it helps to reduce the joint pain.