High blood pressure, which may cause due to several reasons such as hereditary, wrong food habits, over weight and lack of exercise, is one of the leading health problems. Blood pressure often gets fluctuate. High blood pressure turns into hypertension if it remains high for a long time. Often, high blood pressure leads to the other problems like- strokes, heart diseases and kidney diseases.
Doctors often advise to take preventive measures like healthy diet and physical exercises. Even after being victim to the high blood pressure, following the dietary and physical exercises would bring the risk factors to lower levels. Most of the patients are suggested with changes in diet and lifestyle besides medication.
The following are the major diet suggestions to control high blood pressure.
1. Reduce the sodium: It is well known to many that low level sodium i.e., reducing the salt in the diet, is the first suggestion given to the high blood pressure patients. Most of the people consume six times more than the minimum requirement, in general. As a result, the sodium in the body creates fluid retention.
2. Increase the potassium, calcium and manganese: The intake of calcium, potassium and magnesium also play vital role in bringing the risk levels down. Higher potassium levels bring excess sodium levels down.
3. Include dairy product: As milk contain high levels of calcium and vitamin D, intake of skimmed milk must be added to the regular diet. At least 100 ml must be taken per day. Low fat yogurt contains high levels of calcium, magnesium and potassium which are much needed to the high blood pressure patient.
4. Add spinach and broccoli: Intake of leafy vegetables is always suggested. Especially spinach, which contain low calories, high amount of fiber, magnesium and potassium; broccoli which also contain magnesium and potassium, are considered as considerable veggies. These can be added in salads or curries.
5. Have beans: kidney beans, soya beans, white beans etc. contain high levels of magnesium and potassium and work better reducing hypertension. It is suggested to reduce salt while taking the cooked beans as much as possible.
6. Capsicum and red bell pepper: Regular intake of red bell pepper and capsicum which posses all the requirements like calcium, magnesium and potassium is good in controlling blood pressure.
7. Kiwi, peach and avocado: Three of these fruits possess all the required that frequent intake of these fruits help in great ways in control of blood pressure.
8. Sunflower seeds: sunflower seeds have good percentage of magnesium levels. Try to take them unsalted to avoid the increasing risk with sodium. A handful of seeds are sufficient enough to give need amount of magnesium. These can be taken as snacks or can be added in cooked food.
9. White potato and sweet potato: cooked white potato contains magnesium and potassium and cooked sweet potato also contain calcium in addition to potassium and magnesium.
10. Reduce eating out side: most of the restaurants don’t follow low sodium food. The number of restaurants offering low sodium food is been increasing gradually. The best thing is to eat home-made food