Each one of us would have got bruised at some point of time. When the soft tissue gets injured, it is known as bruises. When a certain area of the skin gets bruised, it gets discolored. Other names for bruises are contusion and hematoma. Depending on how severe it is bruises can last for many months. Below are first aid tips for bruises:-
First Aid for Bruises
- When your leg or hand gets bruised, keep the injured area elevated.
- Make an ice pack and apply it on the bruise. This cold pack should be applied after a day or two on the bruise. Continue to apply the cold pack for a couple of days.
- If your hand or leg is bruised, give that area as much rest as possible.
- Always keep Tylenol or ibuprofen handy which is a pain killer. This will reduce swelling and pain till you see a doctor.
Causes of Bruises
Bruises can be caused by a number of reasons. A few of them are given below:-
- You may get bruised with an accident.
- If you get a blow from an object or a person.
- If you are into sports, any type of sport injury may also lead to a bruise.
- If you happen to fall from a height, your body may get bruised.
- Another cause of getting bruised is taking medications like Asprin.
Symptoms of Bruises
If you notice the following symptoms of bruises:-
How can you prevent Bruises
- Mostly children suffer from bruises, so children should be taught safety measures.
- Always try and be safe and avoid falls.
- Always remember to wear a helmet when riding
- Wear sport pads when playing to prevent any area from getting bruised.
The above first aid tips for bruises can prevent you from getting bruised often. You would also know as to what you have to do when a person gets bruised. All the above first aid tips can be kept in mind.
See Also Other First Aid Articles