Hair loss is one of the most common problems faced by today's generation who lead such hectic and stressful lives. Our lifestyle and diet devoid of adequate nutrients, vitamins and minerals and full of junk food too aggravate the situation, leading to quickening of the hair loss process.
Hair loss, thinning of hair and balding could be a result of excess of Pitta dosha in the body, which is caused by excessive intake of tea, coffee, alcohol, fried food, spicy food, oily food, meats and excessive smoking.
Excessive intake of medicines, low blood circulation, anemia, excessive exposure to sunlight, pollution, excessive consumption of alcohol, smoking, stress, anxiety, and mental tension also contribute to hair loss. Chronic diseases like typhoid fever, presence of dandruff or lice and hormonal imbalance may also lead to hair loss.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Hair Loss:
According to Ayurveda, body type and balance of the mind-body constitution are important factors in determining hair loss. Individuals having excess Pitta dosha face problems of hair loss and early graying of hair.
Ayurvedic treatment for hair loss combines balanced diet, herbs, oil massage, meditation, aromatherapy, breathing and yoga.
- First of all, it is important that you detect the elements in your diet or lifestyle that are leading to increase in Pitta dosha and eliminate or at least reduce exposure to it. You can reduce the pitta dosha by drinking 1/3 cup of aloe vera juice. You can also mix a pinch of cumin into 1 tablespoon of aloe vera gel and consume the mixture thrice a day for three months to give a healthy look to your hair.
- It is advisable to use mild natural shampoos or soaps as they are devoid of harmful chemicals. These harmful chemicals present in other shampoos or soaps lead to an increase in Pitta dosha. Also you should never wash your hair with hot water as it speeds up the process of hair loss. It is better that you use cold or lukewarm water to wash your hair.
- You can rinse your hair with boiled neem leaves water to stop balding. You shouldn't wash your hair more than twice a week. If you have time on your hands, you can make shampoo at home by combining 100 g each of amla, reetha, and shikakai. Boil it in two liters of water until the liquid reduces to half. Use it for one month and your hair will definitely become thick.
- Regular massage of the scalp with coconut oil or mustard oil may help stop hair loss. Oils with medicinal value like 'Mahabhringraj oil', 'Amala oil', and 'Arnica oil', which are available in the market, too could be used to cure hair loss problem. Regular massage not only increases the blood circulation but also activates the sebaceous glands.
- It is advisable that you massage your head with coconut oil, brahmi oil or bhringaraj oil or vitamin E oil before going to sleep to pacify pitta and prevent or slow down the process of hair loss by strengthening hair follicles. You can also mix lime juice in coconut oil and apply it on your hair before washing it. Juice of green coriander leaves too helps when applied on the scalp.
- Massage honey and egg yolk on your scalp and rinse after half an hour. If you want your hair to grow, you can apply apple cider vinegar and sage tea on your hair and rinse it with water.
- Consumption of diet full of green leafy vegetables, salads, milk, fruits and sprouts should be encouraged. Increase the intake of protein in your diet through milk, buttermilk, soybean and pulses. Consumption of foods containing iron, zinc, sulfur, Vitamin C, Vitamin B Complex and essential fatty acids is also very beneficial for healthy hair.
- It is advisable that you indulge in regular physical exercises to achieve a balance in the aggravated doshas. You can do Vajrasana which is a yoga exercise to combat hair loss
- You can use Bhringraj (Eclipta elba), Amala, corals, iron and black sesame seeds to make a special Ayurvedic preparation which helps in curing hair loss and even prevents hair from graying.
- If you want to improve your hair growth, you should drink a mixture of lettuce and spinach juice. You can also drink a combination of alfalfa juice, carrot juice and lettuce juice to grow your hair. You can grind licorice with milk and apply the paste on the bald patches to induce hair growth. Another option could be paste of lemon seeds and black pepper.
- Daily consumption of handful of white sesame seeds and yogurt prevents hair loss and makes your hair look healthy.
- You should at least drink 10-12 glasses of water every day as it will flush out all the toxins present in the body.
If you are worried about your receding hairline, opting for Ayurvedic treatment for hair lossis the best option as it has no side-effects unlike allopathic treatment.