An operating system can be defined as a software application that helps the hardware related to computer to interact and operate with the computer software. Windows 2000 is an operating system, falling in the line of several other operating systems, developed by Microsoft. Some other examples of operating systems are MacOS, Windows 3.x, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 98 SE, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, etc. Windows 2000 was released after the release of Windows NT 4.0 and is based of the Windows NT Kernel and hence was initially also referred to as Windows NT 5.0. Windows 2000 was released with the qualities providing better support.
More About Windows 2000
- Windows 2000 (also termed as Win2K) is an interruptible, preventative, graphical and business-oriented operating system planned for exertion with both uniprocessor as well as symmetric multi-processor computers.
- It was released on February 17, 2000 and is division of the Microsoft Windows NT line of operating systems.
- In October 2001 and in April 2003 Windows XP in and Windows Server 2003 respectively succeeded Windows 2000. It is a type of hybrid kernel operating system.
- Later on four versions of Windows 2000 have been released. Namely: Professional, Server, Datacenter Server and Advanced Server.
- Along with it Microsoft presented Windows 2000 Datacenter Server Limited Edition and Windows 2000 Advanced Server Limited Edition, which were free in 2001 and could be made to run on 64-bit Intel Itanium microprocessors.
- At the same time all versions of Windows 2000 are focused to dissimilar markets still each of them share a central part of general functionality, counting a lot of system utilities such as the standard system administration applications and Microsoft Management Console.
- Those people who have physical disabilities were supported with the enhanced version over Windows NT 4.0 with innumerable new assistive equipments, and Microsoft incorporated greater support for diverse languages and neighboring information than before.
- Each and every one version of the operating system props up the Encrypting File System, NTFS 3.0, Windows NT file system and also dynamic and basic disk storage space. The Windows 2000 Server together has extra functionality, counting the capability to make available fault-redundant storage volumes, Distributed File System (a file system that makes sharing of files possible) and Active Directory services (a hierarchical structure of possessions).
- In corporate desktops Windows 2000 can be installed and deployed by means of either being present or not being present at the time of installation.
- Unattended installations rely make use of the answer files to fill up installation data and can be carried out with the help of a bootable CD by means of Microsoft Systems Management Server and by using the System Preparation Tool.
- The most recent version based on NT-kernel of Microsoft Windows that does not take account of Windows Product Activation is Windows 2000.
- Microsoft considerably has put vivid effort to enhance the preventability of Windows 2000 over Windows NT 4.0 as Microsoft also wants to pay attention to those people who are affected by any visual and auditory impairment and any other disabilities.
- Microsoft is also conscious about the convenient accessibility of the system and due to which it has incorporated many innovative designs to make it possible, even if the features were already highly accessible in the old version:
Filter Keys: These are a collection of keyboard connected features for the benefit of the people having typing matters, and consist of:
- Bounce Keys: This is used to multiple keystrokes by one key to be overlooked in a definite time period.
- Slow Keys: This is used to ignore keystrokes when they are not pressed down for a definite time period.
- Repeat Keys: This is used to slow down the speed at which keys are recurring via the key of the keyboard recurring characteristic.
Toggle Keys: These when switched on the Windows will give a noise when the SCROLL LOCK, NUM LOCK or CAPS LOCK keys are used.
MouseKeys: This permits the cursor to be moved all around the screen with the help of the numeric keypad in the place of the mouse.
On-screen keyboard: This allows the users to make use of a mouse in the place of using the keyboard and putting on-screen keyboard characters.
Serial Keys: It is provided in Windows 2000 for the capability to carry on speech amplification devices.
Sticky Keys: This makes modifier keys (SHIFT, CTRL and ALT) turn out to be "sticky", i.e. the user can push the modifier key, let go that key and then push the permutation keys. In general the modifier key have to remain pushed downward to set the series in motion (to make this function activate Shift is to be pushed 5 times repeatedly).
Microsoft Magnifier: This is a screen magnifier that helps the user with visual impairments by increasing the font size of the division of the screen where their mouse is placed.
Narrator: Microsoft Narrator was set up in Windows 2000 for assisting users with visual impairments with the system mails. As and when they come into view the narrator will interpret that by using the sound system.
High contrast theme: It is included to help users with visual impairments by increasing the contrast of the screen of the monitor.
Sound Sentry: It is designed to assist users with acoustic impairments. Windows 2000 shows an image effect while a sound is played from beginning to end of the sound system.
- Windows 2000 Professional
- Windows 2000 Server
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server
- Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
- Windows 2000 Professional – This edition can be considered as the most reasonable one and one among the largest commercial projects. This is the workstation edition of Windows 2000. It was developed keeping in mind people and businesses of all sizes. Some basic features of this product include: Support for FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS, fewer OS reboot scenarios, protection of sensitive data with the help of Encrypted File Systems, personalized menus to help adapt the way of working, etc.
- Windows 2000 Server –This version was released keeping in mind small-to- mid-sized businesses and workgroups. It supports up to 4GB of physical RAM and can be a part of two-way symmetric multiprocessing system. Windows 2000 Server covers Microsoft BackOffice completely.
- Windows 2000 Advanced Server – This version was basically developed for large businesses and computer clusters, having all the essential features of Windows 2000 Server but with extra scalability. It supports up to 8GB of RAM and 8-way symmetric multiprocessing. Moreover, it is more reliable and easy to use.
- Windows 2000 Datacenter Server – As the name itself suggests, this was designed to look after the increasing demands of enterprise customers. It was developed specially for big data warehouses, online transaction processing, econometric analysis, and other applications requiring high-speed computation and large databases. The Datacenter Server supports up to 32 processors per computer and up to 64GB of RAM.
- Windows 2000 is truly the most appealing operating systems of Microsoft. It incorporates advanced features compared to Windows 98/NT systems and has overall better support for computer hardware.
- It has a responsive user friendly interface and also have better reliability, as far as the problem of crashing goes.
- Windows 2000 is the most sought after edition, in case the user is upgrading from any of the previous versions, as it has the feature of identifying and detecting all the software and potential compatibility problems before the switch is made. All softwares installed previously are automatically brought onboard to the new version here.
- This edition overcomes the problem of previous versions of that of Windows NT, which offered only limited support for notebook users. Windows 2000 runs on a much greater array of systems.
- Users have the option to “hibernate” their system. This feature enables the users to save their work and restore it rapidly. The system offers more ease while working offline from the data already saved.
- In case the user is having Windows 2000 Server on the back end, they can enjoy an additional benefit of effortless installation and configuring of software, because these tasks can now be computerized by remote administrators.
- The most significant feature of this edition is its Active Directory, which, allows a company to set up virtual private networks. It also enables them to encrypt data locally or on the network and gives them access to shared files from any network computer.
- Windows 2000 has undoubtedly provided better support for people with disabilities with addition of number of new assistive technologies.
- Windows 2000 was developed with the Multilingual User Interface (MUI). Along with English, Windows 2000 offered support for other languages also including, Arabic, Armenian, Baltic, Central European, Cyrillic, Georgian, Greek, Hebrew, Indic, Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkic, Vietnamese and Western European languages.
Although, Windows 2000 can very aptly be considered as one of the most succesful operating systems of Microsoft, it has also been a target of certain big virus attacks.