- Server Operating systems are created to facilitate podiums for, complex trades, multiple users and networked applications.
- The main focal point of the system lies in the fields such as safety, cooperation and steadiness in spite of the user line.
- The podium provided by the server operating system for multiple user applications come in a package with a consignment of common server applications termed as Web servers, terminal services and e-mail negotiators.
Universal Applications for Server operating systems
Some of the common applications of server operating systems are:
Application Services with databases
- The server operating system provides the ability to run the desired critical applications as required.
- It also performs as vital database storage and shared milieus for cooperative applications.
- For example, networked MYOB or Quicken belongs to same group.
Printer and File Sharing
- Print sharing permits various computers to utilize a single printer.
- For example, windows 98, 98, ME do possess the quality of print and file sharing.
- File sharing includes building up of universal storage position for an organization’s documents like a network drive.
- Pacing up of network access generally the Internet access by saving downloaded files in a cache which is regarded as the way Internet browser maintains cache of the web pages that have been visited by the user so that the files should not have to be downloaded again during usage.
- For example, caching server applications involve Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server, Border Manager, Traffic Server and Squid and Inktomi.
- A hypertext transfer protocol that is HTTP server is involved with various server operating systems either through an incorporated application or through HTTP applications like the Apache open source server.
- Many server operating systems also introduced more improved attributes such as database incorporation so that web pages based on information on databases can be vibrantly created, scripting and personalization.
- Apache the world’s most famous HTTP server application is launched with every version on UNIX and also runs on Windows.
- Microsoft offers Internet information serer for windows podiums.
- Permit the clients to run a productivity application on a server while perceiving the visual outcomes of the application on the display.
- For example, client generally terminal should run Microsoft Word on the server from the desktop.
- All the processing work is performed by the server and the graphical changes are transmitted to the terminal while taking the input like key hits and movement of mouse of the user and then sent to the server.
- This model permits the organization to utilize clients that do not possess adequate power of processing and insists on the documents storage on the server in spite of local hard drives.
- A server boasting enough memory and speed processor is required to run productivity applications for the entire office.
- Almost all present server operating system can perform this through Critix MetaFrame, windows Terminal Server or XWindows system which is utilized by Novel and UNIX variant.
Email, groupware and messaging
- Central email server permits the user to send and receive emails to and from the trades.
- It also controls individual email accounts based on a domain.
- Groupware application like Microsoft Exchange, Lotus Notes, and Novel GroupWise offers emails and classy cooperation.
- These applications also possesses share calendars, group forums, document version management, databases, massaging amalgamation, white board sharing and instant messaging.
- Well known open source mail systems are Send Mail and Exim.
Features of Server operating system
- Server operating system can sometime manage two or more jobs at one time for a small number of clients.
- But when a large number of clients are involved then a huge processing power is required.
- During that time more servers can be included and expand the utilities.
- Load monitoring in server operating system provides an indication when new added server or up gradation is required.
- Some of the other features of server operating system are:
- Security is the most vital feature of the server operating system.
- To secure any kind of databases, files and even when file sharing server operating system provides adequate security.
- Server operating system provides good administration network about the tools accessed in the computer and the process of utilizing new tools available
- Server operating system that runs on the hardware podium is very much fast so that even a file or print sharing does not required a fast PC rather Pentium based server possessing large hard disk with terminal services can be possible.
- It also provides the HTTP server for the Internet.
- Hardware requirements
- The hardware requirements are AMD or Intel
- It provides a huge constancy while performing loads of work
- The auxiliary costs depend on the administration, downtime and productivity in the server operating system.