PowerShell Programming Language
PowerShell is a task-based, interactive and scripting language. It is a new programming language which is very rich in features. It has some of the latest classes and tables by which one can create high level programs. PowerShell programming language is designed officially for people who work with the system Administration. PowerShell is known to be working on a Windows background and use .NET Classes. It is commonly known as Windows PowerShell, as it was developed by Microsoft Inc. By using this language administrators can control administrative tasks on local and remote systems. The article gives a brief understanding of the basic features of PowerShell programming language.
PowerShell is considered to be a fairly new language which has recently hit the software market. It is in short called the Shell language. A shell is known to be the command – line interface tool. These interpreters only support a few commands. There are other commands which are not supported by the shell. For those commands a separate console application has been included.
In 2003, Microsoft wanted to address this problem and launched a scripting language which can deal with this problem. Monad was one of the first scripting languages which was intended to deal with administrative problems. This language could execute administrative tasks automatically. This language is proved as a powerful tool to make the personal computer perform efficiently.
On April 25, 2006 Microsoft officially announced that Monad was renamed as Windows PowerShell. Ever since, PowerShell has been a part of all the operating system products of Microsoft. There have been 2 versions of Windows PowerShell till now.
Version 1.0 of PowerShell was released in 2006. This was compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows Server operating systems.
Version 2.0 of PowerShell is released in 2009. This version became an integrated part of the Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
Windows PowerShell programming language is a command line shell and scripting language. The main purpose of this language is system administration. Some of the striking features of PowerShell programming language are –
- Commands are known as cmdlets in this language. They are used to do common administrative tasks. Windows Management Instrumentation is also used by applying these commands.
- This is purely a task based scripting language. Apart from that it also supports the existing scripts and command – line tools.
- It supports its name by providing powerful tools to manipulate with the object. They can either be sent to other database or directly manipulated.
- It is an independent language. You can create custom tools to utilize in your software. This will help you administer your software in a more efficient way.
- The navigation techniques are uncomplicated and have the same pattern. This will help the administrator to navigate through registry and other data stores smoothly.
- cmdlets and the data stores of the system use the same syntax. Consistent design is maintained so as to avoid manipulation of cmdlets.
Apart from the excellent administrative features, here are the following advantages of PowerShell programming language
- Remote management is a way of connecting to all your systems and running the same commands of PowerShell on all the systems at once.
- There are several modules included in PowerShell which makes it easier to the user to organize their tools and solutions.
- The syntax colors and context Help are very useful for a beginner. Also there is a multiple execution option available in the new version which is very user friendly.
Programming Languages Related Topics
- » Personal Computer
- » Java Byte Code
- » JAVA Platform
- » JAVA Run-time Environment
- » Java Standalone Applications
- » Java Virtual Machine
- » Top Programming Languages
List of Programming Languages