||Public TYO: 7202
||Commercial vehicles, Diesel engines
||Isuzu Worldwide site
Fine points on Isuzu Motors Limited
Isuzu Motors Ltd. is a Japanese company that manufactures cars, commercial vehicles and trucks. The head quarter of the company is in Japanese capital Tokyo. The idea of setting up the company conceived by Tokyo Ishikawajima Shipbuilding and Engineering Co., Ltd. and Tokyo Gas and Electric Industrial Co. when they cooperatively planned to build automobiles in the year 1916. They initiated a technical cooperation with Wolseley Motor Company in 1918 and the first Wolseley model A-9 car produced domestically in 1922. Two year later in 1924, the CP truck was manufactured.
To its credit, in the year 2005, Isuzu turned out to be the world's largest maker of medium to heavy-duty trucks. The company has its manufacturing plants in Fujisawa and in other regions like Tochigi and Hokkaidō.
Isuzu is well-known for manufacturing commercial vehicles and diesel engines. By 2009, the company had produced around 21 million diesel engines. Renowned companies including Renault, Opel and General Motors are using diesel engines produced by Isuzu.
In late 1990s, Isuzu small vehicle sales went down drastically and the company dropped sales of sedans and compact cars. This is the reason, in Asia, Africa and Europe; Isuzu is well-known for trucks of all sizes.
In 2009, Isuzu Motors America stopped selling passenger vehicles in United States, saying to its dealers that it had been unable to secure substitutes for the Isuzu Ascender and Isuzu i-Series that would be commercially feasible. The dealers continued to respect the service contract of the Isuzu vehicles and did not hesitate to become service and parts dealers.
However, this step had no effect on Isuzu’s commercial vehicle or industrial diesel engine business in the US. The company had sold 7,098 cars only in 2007.
In 2006, Toyota purchased 5.9% shares of Isuzu, which made them the third largest shareholder after ITOCHU and Mitsubishi Corporation.
The following are the models of car, bus and light truck designed by Isuzu Motors Ltd.
Models of Isuzu Passenger Vehicle and Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV)
- Bellett sedan and 2 door GT (1963–1973)
- Isuzu Florian (1967-1983)
- 117 Coupe (1968-1981)
- Gemini/I-Mark/Stylus sedan(1974–2000)
- Piazza/Impulse/Storm hatchback(1983–1992)
- Aska sedan(1983–2002)
- Trooper midsize SUV(1983–2002)
- Isuzu P'up and TF models(1983–1995)
- Amigo compact SUV(1989-1994)
- Rodeo small SUV (1991–2004)
- Panther (1991–present) the van is known as Isuzu Hi-Lander / Crosswind in the Philippines and as the Chevrolet Tavera across the ASEAN, and in India
- Isuzu Oasis minivan (1996-1999)
- Isuzu Hombre pickup truck (1996–2000)
- Amigo/Rodeo Sport (1998-2003)
- VehiCROSS halo SUV (1999–2001)
- Axiom midsize SUV (2001–2004)
- Ascender large SUV (2002–2008)
- D-Max Pickup Truck (2002–present)
- i-280/i-350 pickup truck (2006–2008)
Models of Isuzu Commercial Vehicles
- Elf (Light Duty Truck)
- Forward (Medium Duty Truck)
- Giga - Heavy Duty Truck (C-Series, E-Series)
- Gala (Heavy Duty Bus)
- Gala Mio (Medium Duty Bus)
- Erga (Low Deck Heavy Duty Bus)
- Erga-J (Heavy Duty Bus)
- Erga Mio (Low Deck Medium Duty Bus)
- Journey (Light Duty Bus)
- Journey-J (Medium Duty Bus)
- H-Series (Heavy Duty Truck)
Models of Isuzu Race Car
- R7, Group 7 racecar
- Bellett R6, Group 6 racecar
- Models of Concept Cars
- Bellett MX1600
- COA III, AWD mid engine coupe
- Isuzu Zaccar
- Isuzu VX-O2
- Revolutionary Vehicle-KAI
- Isuzu VX-4
Models of Isuzu Buses popular in Philippines
Models of Isuzu Buses Popular in Thailand
- CQA 650 A/T