The oldest existing sea-washed rock lighthouse in the British Isles can be sighted in Angus, Scotland. Called the Bell Rock Lighthouse, the structure was named as one of the most amazing engineering achievements during its time. A work of John Rennie and Robert Stevenson, the lighthouse was built on a rock 12 miles off the shore and approximately 15 feet under water at high tide.
Off the east coast of Scotland is where the Bell Rock Lighthouse is situated, around 11 miles from Royal Burgh of Arbroath and 14 miles coming from St Andrews on the Fife coast. The first 30 feet of the lighthouse were made of solid, weaved blocks of granite that came all the way from Arbroath. The rest of the lighthouse was composed of reddish-colored sandstones. It took four seasons to finish the Bell Rock Lighthouse. It was in 1811 when the 115 feet high lighthouse was completed.
The exposure of the Bell Rock Lighthouse always varies in accordance to the tides of the year. During high tide, the rock in which the lighthouse stands is approximately 12 feet below water level. At low tide, the rock where the lighthouse was built is approximately 4 feet above sea level. During low tide, the Bell Rock Lighthouse can be seen for only a couple of hours or cannot be seen at all.
The light of the Bell Rock Lighthouse is visible from 35 miles inland. This works together with the Bell Rock Signal Tower at the vicinity of the Arbroath harbour that was established shortly after Bell Rock Lighthouse was built. In recent years, the Bell Rock Lighthouse has been a part of the region’s tourism. Apart from boat tours to and from the lighthouse, it also houses the Signal Tower Museum, an establishment where one can learn the Bell Rock Lighthouse’s history.