Applied art is the application of art to objects of functional use and daily use, such as cups, park benches, boxes, bookmaking etc.
In other words applied art is an art made for all practical purposes. Applied arts create things for everyday use and hence it is most practiced form of art. Applied art also have larger commercial reach and commercial value considering the fact that it has many uses and has larger scope and reach.
Applied art is often considered in contrast to fine arts. Fine arts, though uses the same materials and methods, but lacks the principle of practical purpose behind the creation and is created to satisfy the artists vision and to provide aesthetic taste.
Applied art is based on the basic principle of creations which can be used for practical purposes and usually for daily use. However, few scholars still associate applied art as a branch of fine arts.
There is a considerable similarity between decorative art and applied art since both uses articles of daily uses. Some scholars consider applied arts and decorative arts as similar and alternative arts to each other. However, few scholars still consider applied arts as a stream compared to decorative art.
The Following Fields Are Considered As Parts Of Applied Arts:
- Industrial Design: Industrial design is used for production of industrial products and is a mixture of applied art and applied science where the product designs are made on the principles of aesthetics, ergonomics, usability and durability of goods to make it marketable and to increase the consumer acceptability of the product. It involves study of consumer feedback and the connectivity between the product and the users. It aims to resolve the issues pertaining to form, appearance, ergonomics, durability, portability and usability. It also aims to create a larger user base by making the product user friendly and by enhancing its market acceptability. Industrial design is a sought after discipline and its uses are limitless. Industrial designing can be experienced in a wide variety of goods like pins, door knobs, cutleries, electronic goods, chairs, laptops, automobiles, musical instruments, pens etc. You can find excellence of industrial design in almost everything which we use daily.
- Graphic Design: Graphic design is an art of visual presentation and communication keeping in view the target audience and developed around the message to be conveyed. A graphic designer can use typography, visual art and page layout to present the final outcome. Graphic designs are used for creating cartoons, animated series, logo, monograms, websites, advertising and publicity packages, publication works, product packaging etc. There are several tools used by graphic designers to produce the end result and now-a-days most of the end results are computer aided. However, computers cannot replace humans since the original idea and visual effects are imagined by the artist and computer is only used to produce the image perceived by the artist and to enhance the same.
- Fashion Design: Fashion design is the art to apply design and aesthetics to clothes and accessories. Fashion designing is a niche field of art and not only takes into account social trends but also trends prevalent in textile and accessories industry. Fashion designing is not restricted to clothing and include leather design, ornaments and jewellery design etc. It includes anything which is used as a costume or as an accessory like purse, belts, ornaments and jewelry etc. Fashion designing is much sought after field under applied arts because of the fame and money attached to the profession. Fashion designers can work independently or can get attached to garment houses.
- Interior Design: Interior design is an art to decorate the interiors of a house or building to meet the aesthetic taste of the client. Interior design includes decorating the house not only by application of various shades of colours but also uses different decorative items to provide a look which is satisfying to the client. It includes curtains design, door and windows designs, wall painting and wall designs, furniture set up, floor and carpet layout, lighting and illuminations, and decorative pieces like flower vase. The materials used can be of wide variety and depends on the fashion trend and clients’ taste.
- Others: Decorative art and functional arts are also considered as applied arts. Some scholars even consider architecture and photography to be part of applied art if is used in abstract context. Visual arts used for magazines and films and television industry are also considered as a part of applied art.
Arts Related Articles